Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:04 pm
    ----
I believe this is the future. The fuel comes from water! These machines are quiet and can also be used as stationary generators. This technology will have the Arabs riding camels again.

www.fuelcellsworks.com...e1367.html

#2: Re: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:28 pm
    ----
Interesting. Of course, with all the money going into alternative fuels, we should be seeing lots of new developments like this.

#3: Re: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: 3R22RLocation: Ste-Agathe des Monts QC PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:14 am
    ----
Just one question, how do you pretect a hydrogen fuel tank?
Use blow off panel like on the turret of an M1 Abrams?
Just asking...

#4: Re: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 am
    ----
- 3R22R
Just one question, how do you pretect a hydrogen fuel tank?
Use blow off panel like on the turret of an M1 Abrams?
Just asking...

I'll take a guess at this question. There is a guy who has developed a machine that extracts hydrogen from water. So when you fuel up his hydrogen fuel cell you just put water in it. Fresh, salt, rain water or snow! With his system it might be possible to eliminate the hydrogen tank. I guess you can even urinate in his device and it turn into fuel! Wink

#5: Re: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: RayV PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 pm
    ----
I propose that the US Military develop both Hydrogen and Water based fuel-celled vehicles. That way they can convoy, and run on a symbiotic system, each fueling on the other's output- clean hydrogen and water.

Ray

#6: Re: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:20 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I'll take a guess at this question. There is a guy who has developed a machine that extracts hydrogen from water. So when you fuel up his hydrogen fuel cell you just put water in it. Fresh, salt, rain water or snow! With his system it might be possible to eliminate the hydrogen tank. I guess you can even urinate in his device and it turn into fuel! Wink

This sounds like the so-called "Brown's Gas" generator. From the technical reviews I have read, the only problem is that it takes about 3 gallons of fuel to generate the electricity to produce enough hydrogen to do 1 gallon's worth of engine operation.

Note that all hydrogen powered vehicles will use more power to generate the hydrogen than the hydrogen will replace, but the standard compressed/liquid hydrogen powered cars plan to do this in centralized "refineries" using eco-friendly electrical generation, to maximize the efficiency of the process. The "Brown's Gas" process is not only particularly inefficient though use of in-vehicle gas production, but the type of hydrogen produced is less efficient as a fuel than plain hydrogen and other hydrogen compounds. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...n%27s_Gas.

#7: Re: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:29 pm
    ----
This shows up the problem with all 'Alternative fuel' systems

There is no free lunch and there is always loss in any energy transfer system. So the idea is really to make a system where the energy loss appears in a form that is not detrimental and make the efficency as high as possible.

And almost all systems that use a battery for energy storage neglect to take into account the polution created during battery production and the relatively short life of battery packs (anyone with a 2 year old cell phone who can't get it to hold a charge for a couple days should understand this)

#8: Re: Quantum Ships First Fuel Cell Vehicle to U.S. Army Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:54 pm
    ----
Let's go nuclear! George Jetson did Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board