Questions about the new armor museum at Benning
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Questions about the new armor museum at Benning Author: elauterbach PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:36 pm
    ----
I am sadden by the move of the museum to Benning. I really enjoyed my visit to Knox and I am hoping to get back there this fall before the move.
I am curious about the details of the new museum at Benning. Here are my questions that hopefully someone can at least take a stab at answering.
1. Will the tanks be displayed indoors?
2. Will the Hummel, Jadgpanzer, and Panther be on display there?
3. Will the recently acquired Panzer IV be at there?

My guess is no one knows yet, but I thought I would ask.
Thanks,
Eric

#2: Re: Questions about the new armor museum at Benning Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:39 am
    ----
- elauterbach
I am sadden by the move of the museum to Benning. I really enjoyed my visit to Knox and I am hoping to get back there this fall before the move.
I am curious about the details of the new museum at Benning. Here are my questions that hopefully someone can at least take a stab at answering.
1. Will the tanks be displayed indoors?
2. Will the Hummel, Jadgpanzer, and Panther be on display there?
3. Will the recently acquired Panzer IV be at there?

My guess is no one knows yet, but I thought I would ask.
Thanks,
Eric

I don't have intimate knowledge about the new museum, just what I've heard from different sources.

As far as I know, most will be displayed inside. I'm sure there will probably be a few monument tanks sitting outside.

The Hummel, Jagdpanzer IV and Panther II are supposed to go to Benning along with most of the other WWII German stuff. We will keep the old Panther G and the old StuG III G and the Pz III F that is in poor shape that were part of the original collection sent back to the U.S. in 1947.

I don't know about the Pz IV, but I presume it will also go to Benning.

#3: Re: Questions about the new armor museum at Benning Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:06 pm
    ----
Hello,

well these "old" or in "poor shape" tanks really deserve a restoration. I believe that Panzer III running gear parts can be found, but it will be a bit more difficult for the Panther. The StuG III is in its original paint and so it would be a real shame and a blasphemy to repaint it.

I hope that the Patton Museum will be able to restore these tanks, however I know that there is a lot to do and that other stuff have to be restored too..

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board