News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated) Author: blair PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:22 am
    ----
I was wondering that too. about target identification. Maybe some thermal reflectors or some sort of other friend or foe id system?
Also I read reports that the Russians lost over 40 AFVs, mostly to anti tank weapons.

I'm sure there some spin control going on here

#17: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: palic PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:19 am
    ----
Those MLRS (Georgian) are RM vz.70 122 mm (GRAD derivates) on Tatra 8x8 chassis.
That "Georgian APC?" is in fact ... rearmost part of Dana SPH turret with 12,7 mm AAMG station.

No comments on the background of conflict. It is better to be impartial.

#18: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:52 am
    ----
Main problem - CNN monkeys show georgian airplanes and tanks, comments - russian tanks attack civiliants. No words... Evil or Very Mad

Ok, back to AFVs discussion

Column of 58-th Army, Russia
BMP-2

T-72

2S3 firing

BMP-2 of chechen batallion "Vostok" (East)

Russian BTR

Dinner

Sount-Ossetian T-72

South Ossetian T-72 and BMP-1

#19: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:48 pm
    ----
10 august photos

Zhinvali streets, destoyed georgian BMP-1

destroyed georgian T-72B

South-Ossetian BTR-80

Rusian BMP-1

Georgian Otokar Kobra, Gori area

Abandoned georgian trucks, Zhinvali outskirts

Georgian BMP-2, Zhinvali outskirts

Georgian T-72 SIM-1, same area

Russian T-72BM, burned out near Zhinvali hospital, as i know, crew wounded, but survived.

New russian AFVs identification markings Smile BTRs have same on the aerials

#20: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:03 pm
    ----
- palic
Those MLRS (Georgian) are RM vz.70 122 mm (GRAD derivates) on Tatra 8x8 chassis.
That "Georgian APC?" is in fact ... rearmost part of Dana SPH turret with 12,7 mm AAMG station.

No comments on the background of conflict. It is better to be impartial.

Agreed - IMO, lets keep the discussion focused on AFVs and that on politics to a minimum, particularly without any loaded terminology...

But FWIW, I think the bias or simply bad Western media coverage has been due to the fact that CNN, BBC havent had reporters in/near South Ossetia until the last 24 hours or so. They've been reporting from Moscow & Tbilisi - as a result the Western coverage has focused on Georgian PR, the Russian bomber attacks, civilian casualties in Gori & Tbilisi, etc. while all but ignoring the situation on the ground in South Ossetia. I hate to say it, but only the Russian media has had people on the ground doing some decent reporting - in general news has been reported almost a day in advance of the Western media outfits: Georgian withdrawal from Tskhinvali, entry of Russian troops, Georgian counterattack and then withdrawal again... However, IMO, I'm having to seperate a lot of facts from PR in the Russian coverage as well...

All of the above being said, the speed & agility of the Russian reaction has surprised me somewhat - and clearly the Georgians. A few years ago the Russian army wasnt regarded as very good - morale, training, manning problems across the board. It appears that the Russian Army managed to send elements of a motor rifle division across the border within about 24 hours of the Georgian attack. Of course several people have told me the Russian forces have been building up on the border for some time in anticipation... A little over 48 hours later they were flying in elements of an airborne division normally stationed in the St Petersburg region... I cant help but wonder if this is a reflection of all the investments from natural gas revenues in the armed forces over the past few years. We've seen it in the bomber flights, parade, etc - and now Russia is able to flex its muscle in the "near abroad" as well. Remaining question is how far this goes... There is now a report of Russian troops entering Georgia proper from Abkhazia - attacking a town that has the HQ of a Georgian infantry brigade...

Neil

#21: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:15 pm
    ----
- RhinoQ
I was up at APG the other day "playing" in their Foreign Exploitation yard and I am amazed that people even fit in tanks with auto-loaders, those tanks have such a low-profile (cramped area) to begin with. I'm 6'4 and there is no way I would survive in a Russian designed MBT.

RhinoQ, any chance you could tell us what all is in that yard? Wink

BTW, do you live around "here" (MD/DC/VA)? Bob & I should set you up with a "behind the scenes" tour one of these days...

Neil

#22: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:22 pm
    ----
- Taranov
10 august photos

New russian AFVs identification markings Smile BTRs have same on the aerials

A really easy & quick way to do an "invasion stripe" I guess, although one would think paint would do the trick as well...

Neil

#23: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
Some more pics...

Georgian T-72

T-55?

BMP-2

2S3

Neil

#24: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated) Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:26 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

T-55?

T62 w/bar armor

#25: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated) Author: BryanWilson PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:40 pm
    ----

Does anyone know what the story is on this AFV? Appears to be a twin 23mm ZSU mount on an MTLB. Not sure if the small turret on the front corner has anything in it or not.

#26: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:10 pm
    ----
The story? It's a MT-LB with a ZU-23-2 mounted on the back. Quite comman.The small turret can mount a PKT or PKM, or what ever the 7.62 M.G. is that mounts in it.

#27: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:41 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- RhinoQ
I was up at APG the other day "playing" in their Foreign Exploitation yard and I am amazed that people even fit in tanks with auto-loaders, those tanks have such a low-profile (cramped area) to begin with. I'm 6'4 and there is no way I would survive in a Russian designed MBT.

RhinoQ, any chance you could tell us what all is in that yard? Wink

BTW, do you live around "here" (MD/DC/VA)? Bob & I should set you up with a "behind the scenes" tour one of these days...

Neil

I didn't have my camera that day (go figure), but I have some pictures my friend took of us there with a smear (right side) on them, I can post those tonight of the AFVs in the exterior yard, they don't allow photos indoors though.

They have a great deal of stuff they say is "junk" outdoors, it was like little pieces of heaven.

I live in the NOVA area now...but taking a job in ND as a state trooper. So I'll be leaving in about a week.

Q

#28: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: BryanWilson PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:44 pm
    ----
- tanker2010
The story? It's a MT-LB with a ZU-23-2 mounted on the back. Quite comman.The small turret can mount a PKT or PKM, or what ever the 7.62 M.G. is that mounts in it.

Guess I was looking for more than a smart-assed response. I'll ask elsewhere. Rolling Eyes

#29: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:22 pm
    ----
- BryanWilson
- tanker2010

Guess I was looking for more than a smart-assed response. I'll ask elsewhere. Rolling Eyes

Okay guys, keep it civil please...

FWIW, I think perhaps Bryan was looking for some info on this variant - perhaps development history, how common it is vs the vanilla versions, etc.

Neil

#30: Re: News Pics of AFVs in the South Ossetia conflict (updated Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:24 pm
    ----
- RhinoQ

I didn't have my camera that day (go figure), but I have some pictures my friend took of us there with a smear (right side) on them, I can post those tonight of the AFVs in the exterior yard, they don't allow photos indoors though.

They have a great deal of stuff they say is "junk" outdoors, it was like little pieces of heaven.

I live in the NOVA area now...but taking a job in ND as a state trooper. So I'll be leaving in about a week.

Q

RhinoQ that would be great. And any info would be welcome as well.

Sorry to see you're leaving so soon - we may be neighbors almost. I live in Arlington...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board