"Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:38 pm
    ----
Interesting photos, sixteen pages worth, lotsa' armor.

Page twelve features one brewed-up Elefant. Pattern of damage is striking.

www.aeronautics.ru/arc...age_01.htm

#2: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:00 pm
    ----
Thanks Doug

I thinking the Elefant's ammo cooked off after behing hit by something else, If that's the result of the initial hit I'd love to know what did it, maybe a large mine?

Piney

#3: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 pm
    ----
It's result of deck roof hit by B-4 203-mm howitzer Wink

#4: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:35 pm
    ----
Thanks Taranov Wink

Piney

#5: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:04 am
    ----
The link's not working for me.

#6: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:04 am
    ----
Not everything posted there relates to Kursk . . . There are a lot snow and overcoats shown for a battle taking part in July and August . . .

KL

#7: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:02 am
    ----
Working now, nice pics!

- Taranov
It's result of deck roof hit by B-4 203-mm howitzer ;)

Perhaps, but all the hatches being open - and apparently blown off in some cases, like the rear one - and the roof looking largely undamaged inclines me toward the internal explosion suggestion.

#8: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:08 pm
    ----
Only two Ferdinands have real huge damage of hull/deck.
First have direct hit of FAB-100 bomb from Pe-2 dive bomber

Second - on photo from topic start, direct hit to deck roof from B-4 howitzer.

#9: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:38 pm
    ----
I guess we're talking about different pictures - I thought the reference was to this one:

#10: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:24 am
    ----
Full destroyed deck - it's result of bomb hit from Pe-2
Overturned deck - result of B-4 howitzer hit. And it's not speculations - it's official Red Army report.

Ferdinand have very strong superstructure. Typical result of internal impact - opened roof hatches and removed evacuation/gun removing hatch on the rear side of deck.

#11: Re: "Images of Kursk" (and one seriously brewed-up Elefant) Author: clausb PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 am
    ----
This Panther doesn't look too good either....

Some seriously big holes and cracks in the side.

It is just a shadow or is there a big, irregular hole on the left hull roof, just behind the turret ring?

cbo

-> AFV News Discussion Board