Le Mans...the way it USED to be. Times three.
-> Officer's Club

#1: Le Mans...the way it USED to be. Times three. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:34 pm
    ----
Mike Hawthorne in D Type Jag in '56. In '55 he'd been involved in (but not the cause of) the worst accident in auto racing history...82 spectators and 1 driver lost their lives (and auto racing in Switzerland was banned forever). Hawthorne was himself killed in '59 in an on-road dice with F1 Team Manager (and heir to the Johnny Walker Scotch business) Rob Walker. Hawthorne was driving a tricked out Jag Sedan and encountered Walker's Mercedes 300 SL and, boys being boys, an ad hoc "race" ensued.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DulNn2tlTFs

Next, we leap forward to '67 in a Ford GT-40. Couple of new chicanes, but still a very fast course. Now about 50mph faster down Mulsanne than in '56. This was the era when Ford owned Le Mans.

www.youtube.com/watch?...UhdPY&NR=1

Finally, a Martini/Porche 936 with Jurgen Barth in '77

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

IMO, from '54-68 the most exciting spectacle in all motor racing. No open wheel, nothing artificial to slow the cars, and things were still relatively primitive (read: no seriously big money). Some cars were driven to the track. "Contact" was still discouraged and the drivers drove responsibly.

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Le Mans...the way it USED to be. Times two. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:14 am
    ----
Good stuff. I remember seeing that first video before, and I'm still amazed at the bicycles, peds & chickens on the "course".

I don't know if it's been mentioned or you'd heard, but on a related note, Phil Hill passed away just this Friday. First American to win Le Mans...not that his name needs any introduction:

www.latimes.com/news/o...8007.story

Clear roads and smooth shifting, Phil...

-> Officer's Club