Floatation Kit?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Floatation Kit? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:18 pm
    ----

#2: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:43 pm
    ----
For Sea Lion???

Neil

#3: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:47 pm
    ----
RULE # 1

TANKS DON'T FLOAT !!

(wish I could find a photo taken in 'Cowhouse Creek at Ft Hood. A swamped Abrams in deep water, and crewman on top with orange floatation vest.)

Anyone remember this photo?

Don

#4: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:38 pm
    ----
More pre-Sheridan abominations....

#5: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:21 pm
    ----
You know somehow, I think there must be a 1979 Chrysler design sketch showing an Abrams with lots of really big flotation devices Wink

Neil

#6: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:45 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
You know somehow, I think there must be a 1979 Chrysler design sketch showing an Abrams with lots of really big flotation devices Wink

Neil

Would this be one o' them "OPSEC" things?

70 Ton Abrams Floatation Concept....

#7: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:49 pm
    ----
Yeah, though its askin for a good photoshop...

Neil

#8: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:54 am
    ----
In Chamberlain & Ellis there are a lot of pictures of flotation tests for various WWII American tanks. Most involved steel pontoons that extended that trippled the width of the vehicle.

I've been of the opinion that there were only two traditionally successful flotation devices for tanks.

LCT & LST Mr. Green Laughing

#9: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 am
    ----
It's called the Schwimmkorper. Attack makes a 1/72 scale resin one for a 1/72 scale 38t. I have one but haven't built it.

#10: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 pm
    ----
On the topic of amphibious tanks, I asked this forum a few years ago about American amphibious tanks that the Germans might have encountered during Barbarossa. The book I was reading mentioned how the German advance was delayed for a short time as they had to manoeuver around tanks by that description. No one had any suggestions. Any new ideas?

A Christie inspired creation maybe, or an early T-series light tank?

#11: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:22 pm
    ----
I believe these were taken in Ohio River, but maybe someone here knows for sure.....I have a series of these pics

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

#12: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:34 pm
    ----
AJ,
I agree it's probably Ohio River (you first pic looks like it might have been taken from the Indiana side). We did most of our water testing in Tobacco Leaf Lake for control-of-environment reasons, but your pics look like full scale in the river.

I'd like to see more of your pics. Does the "Armor Board Navy" appear in any of them? (Safety and Salvage boat with diver aboard).

I volunteered for and became a safety/salvage diver with the Armor Board and we actually used those deep water fording tunnels (two of them, linked together) for part of our training and gaining "Advanced Diver" rating (along with other work). We submerged them and you had to ditch your SCUBA gear for an unassisted swim through them. Pucker factor was high.

I don't believe this is the same vehicle as you have pictured.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:38 pm
    ----
Looks like one of the Pilot M60's,

Maybe off the Ohio on Fort Knox in the Salt River. Just a guess though.

Joe D

#14: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:56 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Looks like one of the Pilot M60's,

Maybe off the Ohio on Fort Knox in the Salt River. Just a guess though.

Joe D

Joe,
I'd buy in on that...I'd be surprized to learn that the Ohio was fordable. I never did a FordEx on the Ohio.

Your guess would also explain why I think that first pic was taken with Ft. Knox terrain across the river.

D.

#15: Re: Floatation Kit? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:30 pm
    ----
A friend of mine in the US Coast Guard was down there once when the Army was testing tanks in the river, he's in Maine today, I will ask him about it when he gets home. here are some bigger pics of this

tinyurl.com/6qz4bt

3 boat ops

-> AFV News Discussion Board