Track of the day....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#316: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:02 am
    ----
It takes almost two minutes to get there, but one of the strongest refrains (and least known songs) in popular music is in...

Sun / C79

He could wring a lot out of an Ovation guitar. Both of these should really be heard on vinyl (CD's and MP3's don't cut it), because he did it again on....

Bitterblue

#317: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:01 am
    ----
The Leo Kottke/Bob Dylan encounter...

OK, not really music, but LK has always had a great sense of humor.... Wink

#318: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:42 am
    ----
LK, '77. With the guitar solo from MITLWH repeated (thankfully).

Mona Ray and Morning Is The Long Way Home medley

(and forget that erroneous TV tag "Egg Tooth", it's "Mona Ray", trust me)

#319: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:22 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
In my younger days I had a huge, huge HUGE crush on Grace Slick.

And you weren't the only one, but she did leave a little something behind for you to continue to over. Wink

China, or...A mother's love.

Be sure to watch the full video.

#320: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:15 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Well you gotta admit, Zlad did get things movin' ....

But at what price?! Some things, once heard, cannot be unheard. Rolling Eyes

"I mean a fair trial, is no trial at all....."

#321: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:12 am
    ----
*This would be the first.

Good Shepherd

Unusually sensitive for the Airplane, and with acoustic guitar mixed very high for those days.

#322: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:10 am
    ----
...and speaking of Nicky Hopkins, Grace Slick, Jerry Garcia, and just about everybody else from the San Francisco scene, my second favorite tune* from anyone connected to the airplane.

From the only album or piece of music ever to win the coveted sci-fi "Hugo" award (IIRC), "Blows against the Empire". Hopkins is piano here, Garcia on slide steel. I believe most or all takes on this recording were performed live in studio, with no added takes mixed in.

Have You Seen The Stars Tonight?

#323: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:04 am
    ----
Well you gotta admit, Zlad did get things movin' ....

In my younger days I had a huge, huge HUGE crush on Grace Slick. Even did my best to support her solo career in the 80's with albums like "Wrecking Ball" although sadly she was trying to do a style & theme that didn't quite play to her strong points. Pretty uhhh... "slick" lady though....love the profile shot at 2:27.

Oh and YES - GREAT guitar outro!!!

Danke!

#324: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:54 am
    ----
I am sorely tempted to delete your post, just on grounds of abominable taste alone, but mods don't do other mods thataway. Power struggle in the 'Sty and all...sends the wrong message. Laughing

But, since you asked...here's one I've waited for a long time to get onto the 'tube. From the not-so-well-known post Jefferson Starship album, "Baron von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun". Grace plays piano on here, using the sort of heavy licks she learned from Airplane session pianist, Nicky Hopkins.

Apart from provocative lyrics, there's a helluva' lead guitar ending (can you say, "Jerry Garcia"?) that I think you'll like...

Across The Board

#325: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 am
    ----
GREAT stuff but, Hey! No track of the day today, wha's that aboot, eh???

Don't tell me we'll have to resort to.....

Long live Molvania!

#326: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:35 am
    ----
My favorite version, ever.

Copping a buzz just listening to it....(love the "wet" sound at 5:40)

Mona Gets Fuzzy

What's not to love about a Bo Diddley beat? Mr. Green

#327: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:21 am
    ----
Well, how often do you hear....

Violin and Harmonica in the same tune?

Some neat changes of tempo and modulation, too. This was a terrific band. David LaFlamme is immensely talented, and Patti was smokin' hot (RIP). Saw them at the auditorium in Louisville, KY.

#328: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 am
    ----
Traction In The Rain

#329: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:53 am
    ----
FINALLY! Somebody has posted this album in it's entirety.

It's hard to go wrong when you have an ensemble cast that includes:
David Crosby
Paul Kantner
Joni Mitchell
Grace Slick
Jerry Garcia
Phil Lesh
David Freiberg
Graham Nash
Bill Kreutzmann
Neil Young
Jorma Kaukonen
Jack Casady

That's pretty much the lineup for CSNY, Jefferson Airplane, and The Grateful Dead...plus Joni Mitchell and a few others.

Great sound quality, too:

LAUGHING

#330: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:52 pm
    ----
Give this one a chance, as Peter's getting old (ain't we all) and rambles a bit first.

I have a lot of that old Takoma label stuff from the John Fahey (founder) and Peter Lange and Leo Kottke days. Fahey is no longer with us, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad after over forty years.

This is twelve-string. Sound quality is EXCELLENT!

Quetico Reel/Poor Howard

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum