Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:08 pm
    ----
A Mk VIII

I cant help but wonder if this model is period - post WWI.

Neil

#47: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:03 pm
    ----
The last surviving Mk IX troop carrier. The last pic is where the infantry would ride... Yeah...

Neil

#48: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
A couple of MK Vs, one of which is known as "Ol' Faithful"

Neil

#49: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:40 pm
    ----
A Mk IV - after WWI this tank had been gifted to HMS Excellent, the Royal Navy gunnery school (ie a "stone ship" shore installation) in recognition for their help in training tank crews. In 1940, apparently some of the naval officers got her going again should the Germans show up Wink I've also read the entire Bovington tank collection was broken up at that time for use as defensive positions as well...

Neil

#50: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Yes, I think so, three "Tigers" present - the one Tiger and two King Tigers (one Porsche turret & one Henschell).
Neil

and what about the Bovington Jagdtiger? (one of the only 3 remaining in the world, the second one being at Aberdeen and the other one at Kubinka)?

So in the Bovington museum are exposed 4 tigers !!

#51: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:24 pm
    ----
Some more pics - the Mk II "Flying Scotsman."

I hadnt realized the Mk IIs were intended to only be used for training - they did apparently were not armored? This was one of 26 sent into the Battle of Arras anyway in 1917 since the newer models were not available. Some damage can be seen in the last pic.

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#52: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:56 pm
    ----
Anyone got an exterior image of the roof of Little Willie as it currently exists?

Cool

#53: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:28 pm
    ----
the museum said it was on loan for this months trackfest show, but I was talking to someone at the museum in december and he told me it will be a permanent feature when the museum has been refurbished
dennis

#54: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:05 pm
    ----
Hello,
Is the Shrivenham Tiger now permanent in Bovington??

Regards,
Lesley

#55: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:51 pm
    ----
- geoffsteer
and looked like the center section from the later rhomboid shaped tanks we're all used to.

I think you are speaking about those rhomboid shaper tanks :

#56: Re: Some Bovington pics...Did anyone else notice...? Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:57 am
    ----
Hi Guys-
Did anyone else notice the round cutout in the roof? Was there any plans to put a turret on Little Willies top? Could be just the way the hull top was constructed although, you have to wonder why that circle is there.
Regards-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

#57: Re: Some Bovington pics...Little Willie Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:46 am
    ----
Hi Neil-
I think that is the interior of "Little Willie". This was Britain's first tank and looked like the center section from the later rhomboid shaped tanks we're all used to. I mean to say, Little Willie looked like the rhomboid shaped tanks with the rhomboids removed. Little Willies tracks did not surround the whole profile as seen on the rhomboids. I am describing Little Willie as I am not certain I have the name correct, so the description is to let you know which tank I am talking about.
How'd I do?
Geoff Steer [;-{/) Shocked

#58: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:27 am
    ----
With the big rivets and boxy shape it certainly looks like the inspiration for the name "tank"! I often wonder what they'd have been called if they hadn't been so secretive? Caterpiller Breakthrough Device or would we still be refering to them as Landships!

Tim,

#59: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:56 am
    ----
Yep, you're all right! I thought that might be too easy... Here's some more pics for now.

Neil

#60: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:14 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

My guess also is Little Willie.

Photos taken in the front area, looking at the rear of the vehicle.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board