Military Flights
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> FS2004

#256: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:31 pm
    ----
Now that I[m home I took a quick look at your briefing and have all the lat/long coordinates for most places, but one mission toward A Shau Valley refers to the village of A Sap.....any coordinates for that?

#257: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:41 pm
    ----
This is Khe Sanh in FS9 with the SEA mesh Stoopy referred to (of course, there is no airstrip there today, just a brisk business in coffee, scrap metal, and unexploded ordnance), and ca. 1969 from same angle. If you squint, you can "picture" the strip down that bare spot in the middle. A Shau Valley is very nice too, as is Ruong Ruong and Dong Truoi Mountain, trust me.
Khe Sanh in FS9 stock is only locatable by knowing the lat/lon (which I published in my flight guide, I believe) and is so lame it's not worth showing.

Go to the gallery where you can enlarge:

#258: Re: Military Flights Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:40 pm
    ----
I thought I posted this the other day, but it appearantly didn't stick. Mike Stone just recently released a new B-52H. You can get it at www.pmstone.com . It is a nice bird, and Gerry Smith is in the process of painting it up in his usual multiple liveries.

#259: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:58 pm
    ----
Update: Thanks to Fled locating the Flight Plan Editor V2 at flightsim.com which looks like the obstacle of adding waypoints merely by LAT/LONG is now conquered, I'll work up a flight plan per your "briefing", Ascout!

THANKS HERR FLED!!!

And I do have all the maps and everything at home (on travel right now) so that's not a problem either....matter of fact I made 800x600 res versions over the weekend, planning to display them here if that is okay with Ascout, although a great deal of the EXCELLENT fine quality is lost.....that'll be fixed by just incuding the larger originals in a ZIP package of everything with the flight plan (and Google Earth kml file too!) is done.

Sound like a plan to youse guys?????

#260: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:51 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
You should also go over to the Rotorwash website and download my Phu Bai and Martys Camp Eagle. (The phu bai is an early version, but light years better than whats in the sim...my own home version is way cooler, but Ive never packed up all the texture files for upload....

...which can be fixed (I didn't drop the ball on something, did I???)....

#261: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:13 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Think it was avsim......really worth it, will do a search if I can.....

Ascout's briefing and details are really great and I've done a lot of this flight already, and it's just PERFECT for the A1D Skyraider ("Sandy").

One hitch would be that a diversion to Khe Sanh is called for and I don't see any navaids or airport code for that area in FS9.

Will dig....it's a great candidate for what you are proposing.

Khe Sanh airstrip is today used to grow coffee...it "came to a bad end", so to speak. I thought to build one, but the stock scenery is so lame it was pointless at what is the edge of plateau (but resembles the worlds longest and most endless gradual hill in the sim). With the mesh, its all VERY recognizable, but with no strip. Imagination helps here. Ill post pics of the real item and the mesh version when I get home...its so accurate its spooky.
Well just pretend its under mortar barrage and cant land fixed wing. Youll have to "LAPES" it. Mr. Green

Aint no airport code for that their coffee "coffee plantation". Wink

You should also go over to the Rotorwash website and download my Phu Bai and Martys Camp Eagle. (The phu bai is an early version, but light years better than whats in the sim...my own home version is way cooler, but Ive never packed up all the texture files for upload....

#262: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:58 pm
    ----
I'd very much be interested in some RVN missions. Have all the scenery Ascout mentioned and have done some solo stuff but think some MP with it would be much more interesting.

Have often thought it would be cool to get a regular group together for just that type of flying.

Count me in!

#263: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:02 pm
    ----
The SouthEast Asia Terrain Mesh is a five-part download (Avsim links are below) and WELL worth it. Ascout can provide more details as to how it truly matches certain areas he has RW pictures of. It's a must-have in my opinion.

Here you go:

SEA Mesh Part 1:
SEA Mesh Part 2:
SEA Mesh Part 3:
SEA Mesh Part 4:
SEA Mesh Part 5:

#264: Re: Military Flights Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:23 pm
    ----
Excellent, any help is greatly appreciated..

#265: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:03 pm
    ----
Think it was avsim......really worth it, will do a search if I can.....

Ascout's briefing and details are really great and I've done a lot of this flight already, and it's just PERFECT for the A1D Skyraider ("Sandy").

One hitch would be that a diversion to Khe Sanh is called for and I don't see any navaids or airport code for that area in FS9.

Will dig....it's a great candidate for what you are proposing.

#266: Re: Military Flights Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:47 pm
    ----
sounds cool...we probablt set this for August or September...where do you get the Sea mesh from?

#267: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:15 pm
    ----
It's a fact - a great briefing, even, and the maps are fantastic. I'll make a fligh plan out of it anyway and submit as FWIW....

#268: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:03 pm
    ----
I already have a set of military missions made up with coordinates and maps for operations in Military Region 1 of S. Vietnam (the northernmost, on the DMZ, from Da Nang to Phu Bai/Hue with missions out to Khe Sanh and the A Shau Valley with shorter hops to Ruong-Ruong and Camp Eagle) that are good for helicopters and fixed wing. In fact, the aircraft were specified, but could be altered with the mission. If you have the SEA mesh and my maps, you can find your LZs with "no prior experience" in the area Wink .

The missions vary from very brief hops to flights of about 60-90 minutes depending on the route. Apart from Da Nang and Phu Bai (and maybe Quang Tri) you have to fake the refueling at the Laotian border areas. Some could use a mix of helis and fixed wing for added reality (Skyraiders, Birddogs, and various cargo types come to mind...jets if you must...though group shots will be pretty awkward). Some of the scenarios presume some helicopters making diversionary touchdowns and the like, as well as insertion/extraction from remote locations. All are based on actual sites of operations and real-life mission requirements.

This could also be big fun in an Air America scenario for you bush-flying types...I have aeronautical, JOG, and 1-50,000 tactical maps for most of the area in question.

Im outta the country right now, but Stoopy has this stuff lyin around, if he can find it....

#269: Re: Military Flights Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:38 am
    ----
Will do Hunt, glad to hear you got an early present..here's too many enjoyable future flights!

#270: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:04 am
    ----
The Fathers Day gods have blessed me with a copy of FS9 early, so I am in the learning curve on how to navigate with FS9. I know how to in real life of course, just working on the ins and outs of the FS9 world.

Let us know when you are planning a flight so I can join in! May need some coaching on Multi-play setup.

-> FS2004