217: Photo Gallery
218: Community Forums
219: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Announcing "MiltonTraffic v1.1" ! :: Archived
Discussions about the FS2004 game.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  FSXFS2004 :: Archives

Topic Archived View previous topic :: View next topic  
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:36 pm
Post subject: Announcing "MiltonTraffic v1.1" !

Turning onto final approach, a quick snick of the gear lever brings the wheels of the Spartan Executive down and locked into place. A wisp of low cumulus cloud flits by the window, and the runway in all it's wide, smooth glory is now entirely in view and in perfect position. Home at last...almost. A gentle crosswind pushes the tail momentarily, but a quick touch of rudder and countering aileron movement to side-slip into the groove follows almost as instinct. Crossing the threshold and over the numbers, ground effect takes place and we float, just a bit, as if given one last chance to elate in our airborne freedom, before the wheels finally settle to gently kiss the asphalt with a reassuring rumble.

Taxiing in, the smile is permamently etched into the face to the point it almost becomes painful. Passing rows of parked G/A aircraft waiting to take to the skies, and seing the placid, even envious, faces of other pilots as they go through the motions of preflighting their mainstream Cessna 172's and Piper PA-28's, somehow brings the reality home that the flight which had just ended was more than special in many ways. A Cessna 208 Caravan pulls out onto the taxiway, and a glancing contact with the eyes of the Cessna pilot reveals not just his respect and awe for the classic lines of the Spartan, but also a longing, homesick feeling of yearning to escape the dreary task of driving the everyday generic cookie-cutter airframe to the same destination yet again...in skies which, for him, are clearly much less fulfilling.

By the time the engine is shut down, wheels chocked, and tie-downs in place, the fleeting depression and desperation of the Cessna pilot remains in my head, and I can't quite shake it. Such a shame to end a great flight like that with a feeling of malaise.,.and why? Standing up to stretch my old back after securing the last tie-down, and taking a long look around the airport, the problem becomes obvious...it's hard enough to call it a day after a flight in a plane like this, but now, leaving it parked here amid the unimpressive flock of moping, dingy commuter aircraft squatting dejectedly on the ground, makes it even tougher.

This is wrong.... and something needs to be done about it. But what?

Well, if this happens to you or sounds remotely familiar, and you'd like to add some pep, pizazz and just TONS of class to the AI traffic in the air and on the ground in your FS9 environment, this is for you. Especially if you dont' have time, interest or inclination in dealing with the various tools, utilities or tutorials on modifying or managing FS9 AI traffic.

Because Com-Central's new MiltonTraffic v1.0 solves all that for ya!

MiltonTraffic v1.0 adds new aircraft to the "pool" of aircraft that FS9 generates AI flights with. NO modifications to the existing FS9 AI database or flights will occur, either, so if you have other AI aircraft or modifications, they remain as they were.

MiltonTraffic v1.0 also is extremely choosy about what aircraft it adds. Specifically - and some very canny folks may guess this by it's name - MiltonTraffic v1.0 only adds the very finest freeware add-on aircraft available for FS9: those aircraft created and released by the team of Milton Shupe, Scott Thomas, and Joao Paz...and which also (conveniently) are available here in Com-Central's download section.

Aircraft which will now show up in the mix of AI traffic in FS9 are as follows:

Spartan Executive VC
Beech D18S NOVC
Beech D18S Amphibian Cargo
Beech D18S Amphibian Passenger
Aero Commander 500 N22WR VC
Aero Commander 500 N500MS VC
Aero Commander 500 NASA VC
Aero Commander 520 N2609
Aero Commander 520 Pegasus
Howard 500 - 105

(And only the stock planes in the original distibution are added as AI, no repaints yet...there are too many, but rest assured that enhancements like that will likely soon follow!).

Note that these aircraft are NOT included in the download, but are easily added seperately - see "Milton's Hangar" in the Com-C Download section. And, you can add them anytime, they aren't necessarily required for MiltonTraffic v1.0 to be installed first - if you don't have the planes yet, no problemo! Your AI flights will be just as they were before. But as you download any of the above planes afterward, they will eventually show up - sooner or later - at an airport or traffic pattern near you. Note that this is not an all-out, instant-gratification kind of mod that fills the skies with Spartan Executives and Howard 500's, and instead is a little more realistic and subtle, so it may take time to notice...but rest assured, if you install them, they will come!

MiltonTraffic v1.0 installs and functions as a Scenery Add-on, meaning it also can be enabled or disabled easily without uninstalling/reinstalling. Just use the Settings/Scenery Library menu in FS9 to turn it on or off!

By being so extremely persnickety about what planes it adds, MiltonTraffic v1.0 assures you, the user, of an entirely successful and personally enriching airport beautification enhancement experience, and many wonderful flights...careful exploration of the busier airports (especially with the AI Traffic settings dialed up a few notches) will lead to breathtaking, some may say inspirational views, such as this:

MiltonTraffic v1.0 is available NOW in Com-Central's expansive and robust Download section...look for it under "FS2004 Utilities" or follow this link:

http://com-central.net/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=269

Basic Instructions:
- Download it, install it (it's a self-installing Com-C "E-Z Installer")
- Launch FS9, then go to your Settings - Scenery Library, and Select "Add Area".
- A browser window will pop up showing the FS9 main folders...navigate to the "Addon Scenery" folder, and in there will be a new folder called "MiltonTraffic".
- Double-Click on the MiltonTraffic folder (the "scenery" folder inside will show up), press OK, then OK once again, and restart FS9 as instructed...
- Fire up a new flight and..voila!...your airports have a sudden smack of class to them!

MiltonTraffic v1.0 is also - most importantly - an homage and tip o' the Com-Central cap to the great efforts of Milton Shupe and team....without which we would not know or enjoy FS9 as we do today. Enough cannot be said as to the quality of their work!

Enjoy...and thank you, Milton and TEAM for such great aircraft to do this with!!!!

Stand by for a few more possible improvements and enhancements yet to come (feedback appreciated)...this is only version 1.0, after all!

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:49 pm; edited 8 times in total
Uhu_Rodion
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:57 pm
Post subject: Re: Announcing "MiltonTraffic v1.0" !

It's a wonderful project indeed, and considered we mostly fly Milton's plane during Sunday flights, a more than welcome addition to our Com-Central world.
Outstanding job, Stoopy!

Marco
jedster1
Resident Scooter Tramp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:54 pm

COOL!!!!!

We're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Hangman
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:05 pm

most excellent Stoopy...two big thumbs up on this, can't wait to download it!
jedster1
Resident Scooter Tramp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:54 pm

AWESOME!!!!!

I've seen lots of Beeches and Aerocommanders, but no Howards yet, which brings me to this question. . . .

Do the aircraft need to have their original folder names?

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 pm

Hi Jedster,

So glad you brought it up! Don't change a thing or mess with your folder names - turns out I got tripped up by something with the Howard. THe folder names don't matter - but the names inside the aircraft.cfg file do, specifically, the "title" (first line of each section).

I did the work on my laptop last night because my computer wasn't available. On that system, I have just the default Howard 500. But then on my main simming rig, where I have all the repaints installed also, I got the same thing as you this morning and after looking into it, found out it's because the aircraft name in the repaints (for the same standard texture) somehow changed slightly.

The Traffic AI engine is linked to the aircraft title name specifically. So this means I need to also incorporate the slightly different name for the Howard in the repaints, and cover both cases. So it means, it'll be fixed in the 1.1 update in the next 36 hours or so. Can ya hold on? (I'd fix it and re-upload right now, but tonight is the PROPS Grand Canyon race, and it's the last race week of the Spring '06 season.....my mind wouldn't be focused and I'd screw something else up).....:lol:

The good thing is I probably ought to add a couple of repaints for good measure....now's a good time to take requests for any of the versions included in the repaint expansions in the download section!

Sorry you had a problem, and I'd like to make it up to ya...what favorite skin (from the Howard and Spartan repaint collection) would ya like included for your trouble, Jedster?

There's a reason it's called version 1.0, I guess....

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Milton
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:46 am

Whoa!!! How cool is that??!! LOL

BTW, I have a more FPS friendly Dash 7 if you are interested. Did it for AI, reduced polys by 80% but still alot of polys for AI. Or you can download it from Flightsim I think.

Seems I have a Howard low poly in progress somewhere. Maybe after the Dash 7 is released I can dust that one off.

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:51 am

Really glad you like the idea, Milton - Y'all's work is highly motivational when it comes to stuff like this!

We'll get the Dash-7 from Flightsim and include it with the next update then, thanks for pointing that out. As for the Howard, well heck, wouldn't want to see you go to any special trouble, this wasn't meant to cause any work for you in any way at all. Of course if you dig the idea (and we're glad you do!) we'll obviously take everything we can get to stuff in here for ya .... but since it's fairly configurable using the Traffic slider, no biggie or no rush.

Hope it's something for you to sit back and relax, and enjoy, in those rare moments that you probably get for pleasure flying!

Just our way of saying thanks really. And we'll definitely enjoy updating it with newer stuff in the future, not that it puts any pressure on ya! Laughing

jedster1
Resident Scooter Tramp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Hey Stoopy, thanks for the reply!! Wink

For now I'll just put the stock Howard folder in the sim with the other ones, since I have about a bazillion repaints for it in three or four folders. Laughing

And no trouble at all, so any repaints you add as you update is way cool by me!! I kinda figured the title lines weren't matching up, hence my lack of traffic.

And good to see you, too, Milton!! Long time no chat! Thank you fifty more times for the great AC!!!!!

Fantastic work, guys! And have fun at your race, Stoopy!

Milton
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Stoopy,

You do need to ensure that all out team members are appropriately credited in any release.

The Aero Commanders 520, 560, 680S, 500, and 500S textures are by André Folkers and the 500 cargo textures by André and Scott Thomas.

The new AC520 interior is by Urs Burkhardt.

The D18S textures are by André Folkers.

The Howard 500 textures are by Joáo Paz.

The Spartan textures are by Urs Burkhardt.

The Dash7v1 original textures by Joáo Paz.

Thanks
Milton Shupe

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:02 am

Thank you very much, Milton, and I'm hoping I didn't do anything wrong here? I'll definitely be sure to include those credits exactly as given - most definitely - and I appreciate you taking the time to enumerate them. I'm very sorry if this caused you extra work or concern...that was never the intent.

The AI traffic add-on named after you celebrates the work of your entire team and so quite properly, the list you gave will be put in the readme and the installer notes for the 1.1 update I'm finalizing right now.

And one thing to be clear on, lest anyone else reading this possibly misunderstand; The AI traffic add-on itself discussed here does not, in any way, include any release materials, republished or modified rework, or original components of any of the aircraft, textures or files.....those must be installed seperately and from the proper distribution files & channels. It only references titles in the aircraft.cfg files for those aircraft releases & repaints from other parties.

The AI traffic add-on consists of exactly 1 binary BGL file, containing compiled AI flight plan data, and one readme. It only makes the aircraft discussed work if they are installed seperately, either before or after.

I did go get the AI Dash-7 from Flightsim as advised, and added reference to it in the updated AI traffic file. As it seems to be made specifically for AI it would also seem to be a natural to include it in something like this, but of course that would mean re-packaging and redistribution of another author's work into another package, and having checked the README I did note that the co-author (John Hubbard) specifically prohibits distribution without permission - which I absoutely respect. Given that, it can't be included in this add-on yet of course, but since reference to it exists in the BGL file and it will be listed in the readme as a newly-recognized AI aircraft type if installed seperately, I'll also be certain to include Mr. Hubbard's name also, and the actual AI aircraft's availability from flightsim.com.

I don't mean to sound long-winded but as a software professional myself for going on 30 years now I fully appreciate and support any concerns as to author's ownership and representation of their intellectual property and concepts. If any of the above does not sound absolutely above-board in any way please just give me a short nudge and it will be corrected or cancelled as fast as possible.

Thanks very much for your time and again for pointing that out!

Shadow_Bshwackr
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:38 am
Post subject: Re: Announcing "MiltonTraffic v1.1" !

Version 1.1 is released! Thanks Stoopy for doing such a great job on this file!!

To update, download the file and install. No need to delete any files... Wink

To get the new update: Click HERE!

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:42 pm

'Twas a pleasure and I hope this is something that just adds to the relaxation and enjoyment. FYI I've noted on my two different systems that the AI traffic is not always consistent between the two, so there's some dice-rolling on what you see where and when. Kind of a good thing.

Here's what's Fixed/Added in v1.1:

(The 1.1 version is a full replacement of the early 1.0 version which is now no longer available, and not needed).

- Added correction for renamed Howard-500 titles when repaints are present - the Howard 500 should definitely be appearing in skies near you now!

- Increased the number of variants for Spartan and Howard to arrive at a more even mix with Beech 18's and AC500/520...hopefully (remember it's still somewhat random!)

- Adjusted the automatic range of certain variants of each type to modify the % used by AI auto-generated flights (you should see slightly more default, and slightly fewer, custom versions).

- Added "Water" runway types for a couple of the Beech-18 Amphibs. Floatplane pilots may now have some company on waterways.

- Enhanced list of aircraft now recognized to include both original and select repaint versions for increased variety. List of aircraft which will be seen around the airports and skies are as follows:

Spartan Executive: (including original textures by Urs Burkhardt)
Executive VC
Executive VC black5
Executive Copper version 2
Executive VC Yellow
Com Central Executive
Spartan Executive - RRP
Spartan 7W Executive NC17667
Spartan 7W Executive NC17605
Executive Green and polished al

Beechcraft D18: (Including original D18S textures by André Folkers)
Beech D18S NOVC
Beech D18S VC Bush
Beech D18S VC "Birdsboro Steel Corp."
Beechcraft C-45 Beech Baby
Beech D-18 N8648E
Beech D18S BFU
Beech D-18 Savage Air
Beech D18S VC CCA Bush Div
Beech D-18 N-ABP7_FINAL
Beech D-18 Cargo N908

Beechcraft D18 Amphibian: (Including original D18S textures by André Folkers)
Beech D18S Amphibian Cargo
Beech D18S VC Hogs Amphibian Passenger
Beech D18S Amphibian Passenger
Beech D18S VC "General Airlines" Amphibian Passenger
Beech D18S HBGJG VC Amphibian Passenger
Beech D18S VC Miss Maine Amphibian Passenger
Beech Orange Blossom VC Amphibian Passenger

Howard 500 (including original textures by Joáo Paz:
Howard 500 - 105
Howard 500 - N500HP
Howard 500 - Passenger in blue and bronce
Howard 500 Mats
Howard 500 Com-Central
Howard 500 - Passenger in Bare Metal
Howard 500 - OTA
Howard 500 - D-ITPP
Howard 500 Cargo YV-183CP
Howard 500 - Heaven A-Loft (GAAR 2005)

Aero Commander 500 & 520: (AC520 textures by André Folkers, AC500 cargo textures by André and Scott Thomas, new AC520 interior by Urs Burkhardt).
AC500 N22WR VC
AC500 N500MS VC
AC500 NASA VC
AC520 N2609
AC520 Pegasus

Dash 7-103 AI (Milton Shupe & John Hubbard, original textures by Joáo Paz, created as AI aircraft and availabe from Flightsim.com)

That makes 44 unique aircraft/repaint combinations altogether - IF the aircraft AND the repaint packs are downloaded and installed seperately. Those aircraft are then distributed across 19,855 individual routes (approx 451 routes per each individual aircraft type/paint) around the globe. Only routes which are nearby to your position are activated.

Those figures in themselves represent (my rough estimate) approximately 35-40% of the total traffic, the balance of which will be made up of default FS9 traffic: Airliners, Cessnas, Pipers, etc.

Which means, here's what stuff can look like if you end up in the right place at the right time, and have your "Traffic" slider bumped way up:

Much more regularly, you'll see the occasional Howard, Spartan, Beech, etc scattered among regular traffic, which was really the intent of this addon.

Will let this gel for a while and in the meantime, any feedback or comments are appreciated. Gotta get moving on some other projects but will keep an eye here and be hoping to add some extra fixed routes for very specific planes and airfields in the future, which will take some extra time to work out and test. Which means if your favorite plane and/or favorite airfield isn't being used enough to suit your taste, we can try to address it. Wink

Enjoy, and thanks once again to Milton Shupe, Scott Thomas, André Folkers, Joáo Paz, Urs Burkhardt, John Hubbard, and all else who contributed to the fine add-on aircraft that this celebrates!

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Milton
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:56 pm

- Shadow_Bshwackr
Version 1.1 is released! Thanks Stoopy for doing such a great job on this file!!

To update, download the file and install. No need to delete any files... Wink

To get the new update: Click HERE!

Is this the full package or do I also need 1.0?

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:59 pm

Full replacement package, no need for 1.0.

It's all in one BGL file that gets installed as scenery, and that file is compiled to include all changes.

Good question...will update description above, and hope you like the result!

Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  FSXFS2004 :: Archives
Page 1 of 2