T-34 turret construction question.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T-34 turret construction question. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:13 am
    ----
Trying to resolve a report about T-34 (76, I gather) turrets being produced by a stamping method on something like a shipbuilding press. Can anyone confirm that turrets were produced that way, and what models are we talking about?

Thanks!

#2: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:29 am
    ----
Hi Doug!

I don't know, but my impression is that the top and bottom sections of all T-34 turrets where cast.

Very interesting question. If it is true, it would be great to know with models and which factories used that type of press.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:26 pm
    ----
Yes, this type of turret:
legion-afv.narod.ru/T-...tuksa.html

#4: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:51 pm
    ----
More info here
www.battlefield.ru/con...0/lang,en/

Der Baron

#5: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:57 pm
    ----
was that rascal the Baron running around here? Evil or Very Mad I wouldn't trust anythin he sez. Rolling Eyes y'all can't trust him as far as you could throw him (and if'n you ever met the buzzard you know that wouldn't be very far if you get my drift Laughing )

Piney

#6: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:10 pm
    ----
Thanks, Guys!

(I know what you mean, Piney....my contacts in JG300 PM'd me about that guy. Wink )

#7: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:28 am
    ----
www.o5m6.de/t-34_76_uztm.html

#8: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:04 pm
    ----
- Freiherr_Kiefer
More info here
www.battlefield.ru/con...0/lang,en/

Der Baron

According to the armour thickness diagrams at the end of the link, the T34-76 turrets were 52mm front, back and sides, and 20mm on top. A 60mm stamping would be possible, but that is one HECKOVA whack from a die on a form. No wonder it was not a standard pattern.

#9: Re: T-34 turret construction question. Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:29 pm
    ----
Does anyone know why the section between the turret hatches was separate? My T-34: Mythical Weapon states that this was common to all early UTZM manufactured turrets, both cast and stamped, but doesn't say why.

-> AFV News Discussion Board