Vista
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Software

#1: Vista Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:24 am
    ----
I've installed Vista on my laptop for evaluation purposes...

#2: Re: Vista Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:29 am
    ----
Oh god..............!
Hope it works for you.
How old is the lappy?

I do know people who are quite happy with it.
I hope you become one.
Watch out for changing settings and memory loss (the p.c., not you).

#3: Re: Vista Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:26 pm
    ----
Laptops about 18 month old.
Intel duo about 1.8gig, X1400 graphics, good enough to run CoD4 under XP Smile

The vote is still out for Vista as yet (compatibility wise) but as an OS if feels OK

#4: Re: Vista Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:00 pm
    ----
- Kitform
I've installed Vista on my laptop for evaluation purposes...

You have my sympathy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

#5: Re: Vista Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:54 pm
    ----
I've just installed a new Vienna XP transformation pack (supposedly the new Windows OS name). Same old OS, just looks different but ALL my stuff still works..lol

Here it is...

AND....LMAO Bob...lol

#6: Re: Vista Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:53 pm
    ----
explain to us the uninformed Bush (glad to see e-sword bro)

#7: Re: Vista Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:26 pm
    ----
Transformation packs are replacement/add-on/enhancement packs that mimic the look of another operating system (OS).

This particular pack is designed to include features that represent the new MS OS release Vienna. Since it's not out yet, I can only speculate as to how valid this is, but you can't deny the 'coolness' of this... Wink

The background pic is from one of the Bush Flights from a couple weeks ago, but this particular Transformation pack adds a cool new Dock Bar (although not too configurable), new sounds, mouse pointers, wall papers and menu bar enhancements.

You'll also see a new program called "CubeDesktop" that allows for 6 Virtual Desktops much like Linux does. This feature I REALLY like. Working with one desktop really limits your productivity IMO. Linux does it better, but it works well enough in Windows... Smile

E-Sword, what can you say about that program? It's works great, it's FREE (I LOVE THAT PART..lol) and has add-ons to allow comparisons for verses. Combine it with Arnold Murry and you have a great combination to study with... Wink

#8: Re: Vista Author: Rixster PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:48 pm
    ----
well I'll tell you guys,..I just installed Vista on my desktop...why you may ask??..well I guess I am one of the few who actually like Vista..I mean it has it's quirks (Don't all OS?) but I've had it on my HP laptop for over a year now and have yet to have a single issue with it...it is bar far the best networking OS that MS has ever released ( I know that's not saying alot) and it has gotten alot better at the original driver issues..so far I haven't had one of my old programs refuse to run on it...

I'm really happy with it on my gaming rig now too, DX10 is killer and made some significant improvements on a few of the games I run, I mean I can actually see the difference...so I'm really happy with it...only time will tell if I have any problems but I don't forsee any...

oh and if you're wondering why I did it other than the reason above, well I just got really tired of XP letting things "install" themselves without my knowledge or approval...one bad click on the interent and it's over...not too say Vista will be better but like I said, over a year on my laptop and nothing's managed to get through yet..even me! Smile

Oh yeah, and ya'll must be old people, old people are so reluctant to change..lol..

#9: Re: Vista Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:06 pm
    ----
- Rixster
Oh yeah, and ya'll must be old people, old people are so reluctant to change..lol..

ROFLMAO... Hey, I resemble that remark...lol

That's one vote for Vista and it's good to hear someone comment on DX10 too.. Wink

#10: Re: Vista Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 pm
    ----
Well...

I caught a virus the other night on my XP machine. Shocked
I been meaning to do a re-install of windows for a while now as my graphics sli capability had gone to pot, so after a brief and bloody fight with the virus, (which was winning), it was easier to re-install windows.

But my hand slipped. Shocked Shocked And I installed Vista onto my main computer.
The first casualty was my scanner - too old and no vista drivers available.
I've even installed office 2007.

Depending what other software won't work, depends whether XP gets re-installed.

#11: Re: Vista Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:34 am
    ----
It's not only old stuff I'm afraid;
My DVD/RW (which has worked fine since installation) disappeared yesterday.
It still works, Vista can't find it.
If this was a one-off, I might have been tempted to keep shtum.

#12: Re: Vista Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:13 pm
    ----
well I just upgraded my kids computer and yup, I put Vista on it as well..I have never, ever, in my entire computer building/rebuilding (at home) carrer have I ever has such an easy time setting up a pc..man this thing loaded in a mtter of ten minutes, up and running..plugged in the wireless adapter and BAM!..asked me what my security key was & took off...

I'm sorry to hear about your issues, as far as Office 2007, kinda takes some gettin used too but I like it as well..Word is much improved and doen't try to "guess" what you want it to do near as much..always hated that in previous version..not a big fan of the "frilly" look it has but it does work nice..

#13: Re: Vista Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 pm
    ----
I've used office 2007 before, but since work used 2003 I had to take it back off for compatibility reasons.

Up to now it's just the scanner that's a possible issue.
Found other fax software to replace my ancient Talkworks program.

I like the gadgets on the side bar though.

Speed wise, can't tell the difference between XP and vista.

#14: Re: Vista Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:13 pm
    ----
I can't either for the most part..the only time I can see a speed difference is when I'm playing a game that utilizes DX10...

#15: Re: Vista Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:22 pm
    ----
As a side note, I upgraded to Office 2007 and had compatibility issues with computers in my office. I did some searching and I found that when you save an Excel or Word file, you save it as a 97-2003 Office file. Just look at the file name when it asks for how to save it.

-> Software