Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:42 am
    ----
www.armorama.com/modul...722&page=1

#2: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: palic PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:03 am
    ----
Can confirm that total overhaul is planned according to intel from Military Technical Museum Lesany staff. This LT-35 should be in running order one day!
Great news for Czech armour fans.

Some rumours were circulating about this LT-35 being long term loan only. That was not true, fortunately.
Thanks for such friendly gift.

#3: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:36 am
    ----
When I examined this vehicle, I was puzzled by the pattern of impact marks on the turret and hull. Can anyone tell me how this was done and to what purpose?

#4: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:40 am
    ----
The few bullet splashes or the weird tool marks from the steel rolling process?

Joe D

#5: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:44 am
    ----
- Joe_D
The few bullet splashes or the weird tool marks from the steel rolling process?

Joe D

Joe,
The tool marks.

#6: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 am
    ----
Doug,

Be a guess but I imagine it's just a by product of who ever provided the steel. Seen similar marks on old Austrian RR equipment in Graz many years ago, can't see why they would deliberately etch the steel. (Had an uncle who was a machinist/blacksmith there)

Joe D

#7: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 am
    ----
There are similar marks on many of the vehicles at Aberdeen. They show upon older vehicles like the LT-35 and newer ones like the Jagdpz Kanone. They show upon many nationality vehicles. They show upoften near plate edges and opebnings that were made in the metal. I've wondered if they were the result of some type of impact device that measures the surface hardness of the armor.

#8: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:47 pm
    ----
- bsmart

..... I've wondered if they were the result of some type of impact device that measures the surface hardness of the armor.

Yeah Bob, its called a new LT with a hammer!! (Having been given technically plausable, BS story from a 'TRUSTED' Senior NCO......HA HA HA.) Cool Laughing

"Tink,....Tink,.....Tink,.....THUNK!!"

Mr. Green

Don

#9: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:23 pm
    ----
Good one Don Laughing ,

I can see it now Cool ,

A scene from the Motor Pool at APG during the 1950's.

SFC : "Hey LT, The Old Man said we needed to find out which Country made the best steel for their tanks"

LT : "How do we do that?"

SFC: "You take this hammer here Sir, then you tap along the tank sides and listen."

LT : "Listen for what?"

SFC : "For dull sounds Sir. If the Armor is soft it won't "Tink" when you hit it. Instead it'll "Thunk". Then you mark it for the Ordinance guys to find."

Then the poor sap starts tapping tanks until some one asks him what he's doing and informs him he's been had Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's it Bob

Probably the same guy who had the really great idea about recycling.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Joe D

#10: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:52 pm
    ----
I notice that pattern of those imprints are very regular. Not perfect, but definitely a pattern.

#11: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 pm
    ----
Plate steel goes through rollers to take big molten slabs down to size. That looks like a pattern on the surface of whatever rollers were used at the plant. Or it might have something to do with the forming of flat plates to slightly conical rounded pieces to be cut into turret parts. Maybe the patterning has something to do with gripping the plates for shaping. Think noodle maker ....

#12: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:11 am
    ----
Palic might have some good insight into this - perhaps its also seen on other Czechoslovak tanks?

Neil

#13: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: palic PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:03 am
    ----
There is something strange with those "imprint marks". Definitely this armour is rolled one so these "imprint marks" could be the results of handling rollers actin.
But my eyeball Mk.I can see something... These "imprint marks" are not located between rivets - and there is dense row of them below the rivets along upper edge of hull... Big question mark...
Looks like somebody used a hammer or another tool... to clean thick layer of colours and rust?

I would say our LT-38 runner is clean of such indentations...

Will check another pictures and report.

Have checked our sources - result is here:

Build number 10112, see the picture here: www.rozhlas.cz/_obraze...88953.jpeg
Produced by CKD Prague
Original Czechoslovak military registration: 13.962 (white on black)
Delivered to CZ Army in 1937, after occupation this vehicle minus its turret continued in service with German Wehrmacht as a Mörsezugmittel 35(t)...

After some non specified damage this vehicle was sent to Skoda Pilsen for repair and remained there till the liberation of Czechoslovakia.
After liberation this vehicle was equipped with turret and repaired on request of US HQ and shipped to USA for tests of pneumatic steering system...

Last edited by palic on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

#14: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:16 am
    ----
- palic
There is something strange with those "imprint marks". Definitely this armour is rolled one so these "imprint marks" could be the results of handling rollers actin.
But my eyeball Mk.I can see something... These "imprint marks" are not located between rivets - and there is dense row of them below the rivets along upper edge of hull... Big question mark...
I would say our LT-38 runner is clean of such indentations...

Will check another pictures and report.

Palic,
If you look in the forward area, beginning with the end of the middle camo pattern, you'll see that there are some of these indentations between the rivets, but you're certainly correct about change in pattern and them being more dense along upper hull as you move your gaze to the left (the rear).

Interesting that your LT-38 is devoid of these marks.

#15: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 am
    ----
- palic

Have checked our sources - result is here:

Build number 10112, see the picture here: www.rozhlas.cz/_obraze...88953.jpeg
Produced by CKD Prague
Original Czechoslovak military registration: 13.962 (white on black)
Delivered to CZ Army in 1937, after occupation this vehicle minus its turret continued in service with German Wehrmacht as a Mörsezugmittel 35(t)...

After some non specified damage this vehicle was sent to Skoda Pilsen for repair and remained there till the liberation of Czechoslovakia.
After liberation this vehicle was equipped with turret and repaired on request of US HQ and shipped to USA for tests of pneumatic steering system...

Thanks much for the info Palic! I will have to update my info accordingly! Wouldnt be the first time the Ordnance Museum files were incorrect I must admit...

The LT-35 must have been liberated at the same time as the Hetzer: "Captured new at the Pilsen factory and shipped to APG. Some internal equipment was 'liberated' from it during transit"

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board