Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:46 pm
    ----
Just a few thoughts:

Perhaps the 'roller tool' marks might have been worn off or covered due to adverse environmental affects, multiple layers of paint, and / or too much blasting (bead/sand) during a restoration. Heavy coated primer & paint would obscure those marks, if applied too heavily.

The fact that they are seen on the APG vehicle, is proof of a carefully completed, quality renovation.

Regards
Don

#17: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: palic PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:20 pm
    ----
Topical piece of intel: conversion of this vehicle (original LT-35, CZ Army registration 13.962) from Pz.Kpfw 35(t) to Mörserzugmittel 35(t) was done in 1942.
I found and have examined pics of "fresh-from-the factory" Mörserzugmittel 35(t) and can say they are close enough to show there were no visible "indentations" on the surface of fresh vehicle... At least there are no such indentations on hull roof armour plate.

How should I understand these words written earlier by bsmart: There are similar marks on many of the vehicles at Aberdeen. They show upon older vehicles like the LT-35 and newer ones like the Jagdpz Kanone. They show upon many nationality vehicles. They show upoften near plate edges and opebnings that were made in the metal. I've wondered if they were the result of some type of impact device that measures the surface hardness of the armor.

Are those indentations seen not only on vehicles of Czechoslovak or (later) Protectorate Böhmen und Mähren origin???

#18: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 am
    ----
just a wild thought, might they be caused by "Splash" from the cutting or welding process?
Piney

#19: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:53 am
    ----
There was a conversation about this a few years ago - its caused by the face-hardening process of the armour plate.

#20: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:14 pm
    ----
- palic
Have checked our sources - result is here:

Build number 10112, see the picture here: www.rozhlas.cz/_obraze...88953.jpeg
Produced by CKD Prague
Original Czechoslovak military registration: 13.962 (white on black)
Delivered to CZ Army in 1937, after occupation this vehicle minus its turret continued in service with German Wehrmacht as a Mörsezugmittel 35(t)...

After some non specified damage this vehicle was sent to Skoda Pilsen for repair and remained there till the liberation of Czechoslovakia.
After liberation this vehicle was equipped with turret and repaired on request of US HQ and shipped to USA for tests of pneumatic steering system...

Hello Palic,

information included in the most recent updates of "modified and captured foreign vehicles" PDF file. Thanks for your researches.

P-O

#21: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:41 pm
    ----
2 Dontos:

VCL M1931 rear hull plate:

Panzer II F upper front hull plate:

Little shocked after Panzer II F paint cleaning. More looks like orks-made armor plates. And it's not a single defect - different armor plates of this tank almost same.

And for Pierre - serial number of Kubinka Panzer II F:

#22: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:18 am
    ----
Hello Taranov,

thanks for the Panzer II F serial number. How should this be read?
I guess that the SN is 28384 (or is this a hull number?) and the ordnance code is CXT, right?

P-O

#23: Re: Aberdeen PzKpfw 35(t) going back home Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:33 am
    ----
I think, 28 - Pz II F hull code, 384 - hull number. cxf - ordnance code. Interesting, what factory have cxf (or dxf) code.

-> AFV News Discussion Board