Comets and charioteers in CZ
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Comets and charioteers in CZ Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:41 pm
    ----
- palic
Last weekend I saw two A-34 Comets, one Charioteer (all those ex-Finnish vehicles auctioned last year) in the Czech Republic. One Comet has been already dismantled and is currently restored, second one and Charioteer are waiting for their restoration.
Have seen two ex-csiabg Cromwell hulls, partly dismantled...
Have seen sweet M-14 HT wit Maxson quadruple MG turret, a strange mix... sporting US marking.

All those spotted in Smrzovka.

Do you have pictures of the vehicles please? I would like to know which vehicles they are before being restored (maybe there is a finnish registration number that can be found..?)

thanks

P-O

#2: Re: Comets and charioteers in CZ Author: palic PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:25 pm
    ----
I took pics for my modeling projects so I was not searching for build or tac numbers unfortunately. But I can confirm that Charioteer was auctioned as No 11 and one of Comets as No 18.
Second Comet was dismantled and stripped of paint, given base coat of primer and paint so no (auction) number is visible now.

I was talking to guys belonging to museum staff, they are eager to do their best. We were discussing two ex Cromwell hulls (gun tanks post war converted to excavators again), they have found remnants of WD census numbers and marking but were not able to decypher them yet.
I was about to cry at the moment I saw poor status of those former beauties. Nearly empty engine bays, lot of rubbish inside, gunner and driver hatches welded over...

Pics are not excellent...

#3: Re: Comets and charioteers in CZ Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:10 am
    ----
Palic, I will send you a private message to try to learn more about the vehicles you saw at Smrzovka.

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board