1950's Armor Markings?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 1950's Armor Markings? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:15 am
    ----
I need a few pictures (or links) to what the M4A1E8 Shermans would have been marked like in the '50's, probably the National Guard for instance.

I am in the process of building a 1/16th version and have no references at all and wondered if they had any numbers used on the turret besides just white stars and were they used on the hull sides too.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!

#2: Re: 1950's Armor Markings? Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 am
    ----
Before the M4A1E8 in Auburn, NE was repainted the previous markings were visible. Across the transmission cover was "34-134-I-TKXX" (the last numbers weren't legible). At the time the M4A1E8 and M4A3E8 were in service the infantry regiments were authorized a 22-tank company (it seems to have replaced the anti-tank and cannon companies).

The tank likely had its full complement of stars. A few NE ArNG Shermans had the insignia of the time, an outline of the state of Nebraska with
NEBRASKA
NATIONAL
GUARD

spelled out in caps - all in white.

Gary

#3: Re: 1950's Armor Markings? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:53 am
    ----
The old movie War of the Worlds featured some scenes where the M4A1E8 took on the Martian tripods. Looked like California was where those battle scenes were filmed. Might be worth a rental at the local Block Buster.

#4: Re: 1950's Armor Markings? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:32 am
    ----
Thanks Rob, I do have WOTW and remember that scene so I'll check that out.

And Gary, your photo picasaweb.google.com/g...nNebraska# album (along with the tanks at Camp Atterbury) were invaluable to my research and building of this project.

They helped out in all areas. Thanks so much for posting them!

#5: Re: 1950's Armor Markings? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:53 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
And Gary, your photo picasaweb.google.com/g...nNebraska# album (along with the tanks at Camp Atterbury) were invaluable to my research and building of this project.

Gary, a great collection of photo's!

-> AFV News Discussion Board