Great pics!
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#16: Re: Great pics! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 pm
    ----
Thanks Wingnut,

Growing up as an Air Force Brat I got to see all sorts things at Langley. Especially after moving on base. Prior to that never saw any aircraft, my Dad's assignment in Germany was with an Army unit for 5 years. Moving on Langley was a big treat. At the time the only Fighters there were the F106's from the 48th FIS. That was my first time witnessing fighters other than distant flyovers. Watching those 106's scramble was just amazing, especially at night. Was there when 1st TFW went operational and saw the first Eagle come in. "Peninsula Patriot" and "Tidewater Alligator" were two names I remember. We lived within a 5 minute walk of those so called "Hush Boxes", yeah right. Drove my Mom crazy.

Summer time we'd hang out at the LTA pool which was an excellent place to watch aircraft. Seen everything from KB-50's to the Guppy when it delivered a YF-12 to NASA. Always loved the Air Defense Commands 101's,102's,104's and 106's with their plumage. F4's were always camo'd, with the exception of the Navy and USMC. Wasn't an F15 fan, sorry Bob, but it was like looking at VW's at the time, IIRC there were three squadrons stationed there, and their new "Air Superiority Blue" paint job was kinda bland to look at too. Kids go for the "Cool" factor.

If only affordable digital camera's were around then.

Joe D

#17: Re: Great pics! Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 pm
    ----
Yeah, I saw that documentary too, and it was preatty accurate. It included the info I mentioned about the deflection shooting in it. That is kind of where I got that info.

#18: Re: Great pics! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:44 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Thanks Wingnut,

Growing up as an Air Force Brat I got to see all sorts things at Langley. Especially after moving on base. Prior to that never saw any aircraft, my Dad's assignment in Germany was with an Army unit for 5 years. Moving on Langley was a big treat. At the time the only Fighters there were the F106's from the 48th FIS. That was my first time witnessing fighters other than distant flyovers. Watching those 106's scramble was just amazing, especially at night. Was there when 1st TFW went operational and saw the first Eagle come in. "Peninsula Patriot" and "Tidewater Alligator" were two names I remember. We lived within a 5 minute walk of those so called "Hush Boxes", yeah right. Drove my Mom crazy.

Summer time we'd hang out at the LTA pool which was an excellent place to watch aircraft. Seen everything from KB-50's to the Guppy when it delivered a YF-12 to NASA. Always loved the Air Defense Commands 101's,102's,104's and 106's with their plumage. F4's were always camo'd, with the exception of the Navy and USMC. Wasn't an F15 fan, sorry Bob, but it was like looking at VW's at the time, IIRC there were three squadrons stationed there, and their new "Air Superiority Blue" paint job was kinda bland to look at too. Kids go for the "Cool" factor.

If only affordable digital camera's were around then.

Joe D

When did you leave Langley? I was part of the initial buildup with F-15s They had about half of them when I got there in October '76 I remember 'Penninsula patriot (74-083) but don't ever remember one called Tidewater Alligator. in fact 'Patriot' was one of only two F-15s I ever remember having a name. 'Like looking at VW's' Shocked Evil or Very Mad that could be fighten words. I only remember one plane in the Air Superiority Blue, it was a 72 model training airframe. They were all the light gray (actually two tone if you saw it fresh from the factory). Only thing worse then the hush boes were when 48 FIS took a bird to the Trim pad at the other end of the runway and spent an hour and a half adjusting the Afterburner linkage. a steady scream puntucated by the boom when that big single stage AB kicked in, then off, then BOOM then off, BOOM for an hour or so. I lived 3 miles from base (out towards Bethel Manor) and it rattled our windows sometimes

#19: Re: Great pics! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:38 pm
    ----
Bob said:

'Like looking at VW's' Shocked Evil or Very Mad that could be fighten words

Hey, there were a lot of Eagles in the sky back then. I remember that blue F15, was in a hanger not far from the transit apron. Looked real lonely. Should've said Air Superiority Grey I guess.

That Weeeeeeeee BOOM, Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee BOOM, over and over. Used to think they did it on purpose. No way they'd get away with that now.

IIRC I saw the "Tidewater Alligator" in the base paper, "The Flyer"

I graduated High School the summer of '80, left and never been back. Haven't stayed in one place more than three years since.

Here are a few more pictures I took.

Guess what that last plane is.

Joe D

#20: Re: Great pics! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 pm
    ----
When I was in grad school, I lived in a cabin ~20 miles WSW of St. Louis. When F-15's came off the line at M-D/Lambert Field, they'd come out to my neck of the woods and wring them out to get out of the city. Lots of low passes in very plain markings that blossomed into straight climbs that amply demonstrated the triumph of thrust over weight. Beaucoup noise.

Now my office is about 1.5 miles off the end of the runway at MCAS Miramar. Lots of superbug takeoffs and landings...and lots of building shake. Me likey.

#21: Re: Great pics! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:11 pm
    ----
Sounds like we overlapped a lot at Langley. I was on the Flightline from Oct 76 til early 82 when I crosstrained to computers and moved to the other side of base.

I'll PM you wih the identity of the plane so others can guess for a while.

That was one of the neat things about being at TAC HQ (The only thing :-))

#22: Re: Great pics! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 pm
    ----
You are correct Bob

Joe D

-> Officer's Club