Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:29 pm
    ----
On another board it was brought out that there are a bunch of old LIFE magazine photos on the web. The link below takes you to a photo from an M4A3E8 covering the Han River bridge in Korea. Go to the search box and start typing key words such as "tank", etc. Some cool stuff. Not just WW2 but a whole host of Army PR photos from the late 40s. There is a slew of the M46 production line at DTA, M47s passing in review for Ike's innaguration, a batch of shots showing the SP 240mm T92 testing at APG and a very interesting set of an APG test of a T34/76 with the M4A3E8, M26 and M46. It's definitely worth a look.

Gary

images.google.com/host...f%26sa%3DN

#2: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:45 pm
    ----
These are good ones
images.google.com/host...4ff174fe0a

images.google.com/host...8fa94a7175

#3: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 pm
    ----
Some good pictures of the T28 and T43 too.

#4: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:58 pm
    ----
lots

#5: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:00 pm
    ----
A gold mine! Even an Ontos!

#6: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:12 pm
    ----
I just sent Google a note to see if these can legally be used in Forums, copyright laws might apply, I will see what they say...maybe

#7: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:28 pm
    ----
Is this an actual Nebelwerfer or a 'Murican design based on same or something else altogether?

images.google.com/host...6fe98fec9b

Take captions with a grain of salt. New "M60 variant". Wink

images.google.com/host...%26hl%3Den

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 pm
    ----
Ascout said:

Take captions with a grain of salt

Like the picture of the dead German in a tank. It's a US tanker. Head gear and casting mark on hatch indicates so. I doubt it would've got through the censors if it was titled so. Unless this was of one of Otto Skorzeny's group that impersonated US forces during the Battle of the Bulge. Caption doesn't say much.

Joe D

#9: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 pm
    ----
LINGLE!

tbn0.google.com/hosted...a5bb_large

#10: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:54 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway

Those ascots look so snappy. Laughing

#11: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:51 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Is this an actual Nebelwerfer or a 'Murican design based on same or something else altogether?

That is an American rocket launcher. It might still be in the collection at Aberdeen. Wink I recognize several of the tanks in the 'Aberdeen' or 'Newark' pictures as ones still in teh collection The T-34 is the one on my 'regular' tour In these pictures it looks like it has a camo pattern and a Soviet star on it. Wish there was a color picture

#12: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:54 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- MarkHolloway

Those ascots look so snappy. Laughing

And the Drivers 'High and tight' haircut Mr. Green

#13: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:56 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- JG300-Ascout

That is an American rocket launcher. It might still be in the collection at Aberdeen. Wink I recognize several of the tanks in the 'Aberdeen' or 'Newark' pictures as ones still in teh collection The T-34 is the one on my 'regular' tour In these pictures it looks like it has a camo pattern and a Soviet star on it. Wish there was a color picture

Bob,
There was one (or two?) there beside the museum building when I was there, near where the "skeleton tank" was. Or were those real Nebelwerfer(s)? I might have gotten in a picture, but not sure.

#14: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:04 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- bsmart
- JG300-Ascout

Bob,
There was one (or two?) there beside the museum building when I was there, near where the "skeleton tank" was. Or were those real Nebelwerfer(s)? I might have gotten in a picture, but not sure.

There are two Nebelwerfers (a 150mm and a 210 mm version) as well as two American box type towed RLs beside the Museum . The one in the picture isn't one of them but I think this one may be in storage either by the Refurb facility or in the warehouse. The Nebelwerfers have 6 tubes layed out in a hex pattern

#15: Re: Life magazine photos on the web (with tanks)... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:10 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
A gold mine! Even an Ontos!

LIFE MAGAZINE: Operation Deep Seas Ontos Landing 1957

'Operation DeepSea' Was a joint US / Turkey Naval landing on the 'Galipoli' coast in 1957.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board