Unusual Tiger I ?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:03 pm
    ----
Anybody out there have any idea why those circular marks are on this tank?

Tiger I

Joe D

#2: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:40 pm
    ----
Ejector pin marks? Laughing

#3: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:07 pm
    ----
I'll wager a wild guess. The tank had been hit there and they cut out the damaged portion and welded in some new plate.

#4: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:20 pm
    ----
I'm with Tumbleweed, this looks like the semi wreck that used to be on display in Snegeri, I think that pieces have been welded on, postwar, to make it look complete. If you look at the other pictures in the series the muzzle brake looks funky also. I think that this Tiger has been a range target and they are trying to rehab it. My two cents. Best bet is to hope Taranov sees this thread and gives his input

Piney

#5: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:39 pm
    ----
- piney
this looks like the semi wreck that used to be on display in Snegeri,

it is still there !!

P-O

#6: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:04 pm
    ----
Maybe something was welded onto the front plate and later removed?

David

#7: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:32 pm
    ----
From the damage marks it clearly is Tiger #9 in Preserved German Tanks vol 2, the one at Snegiri:

preservedtanks.com/Typ...0&Select=1

What caused them I don't know, but given most of the others are from ordnance, and given their random placement, I wonder if those circular marks could be too (magnetic training mines, perhaps? - if such things exist).

#8: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:49 pm
    ----
It was indeed a range target for quite some time, along with a less fortunate sibling (blown to smithereens). The entire barrel section is a sheet metal replica as the real barrel was cut almost at the mantlet. I've always assumed that the circular marks on the front lower glacis were from some kind of ordnance.

#9: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm
    ----
note that it has been repainted few days ago (photos from Dmitry Bushmakow). The paint job looks rather interesting :

P-O

#10: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:03 pm
    ----
Not an expert on metallurgy, but can those marks have something to do to determine the quality (elasticity or hardness) of the steel? Like pressing something in it to see when it brakes or how far you can go?

Regards
Lesley

#11: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:02 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
Not an expert on metallurgy, but can those marks have something to do to determine the quality (elasticity or hardness) of the steel? Like pressing something in it to see when it brakes or how far you can go?

Regards
Lesley

These tests are usally performed with a very small metal ball and a small piece of metal
The bigger the surface of the material you want to press into another material, the bigger the force required to do so

These impression are about 25cm / 10inch each
The bowplate will either bend or crack from it's welds before such impressions will be in the plate it self, with these force's required

Michel

#12: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:15 pm
    ----
I wonder if they could have been caused by land mine testing. Looking around the internet for mines that match the shape, these *almost* match.

#13: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:31 pm
    ----
They do look lke they could have been created by the "Munroe" effect of mines

#14: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 am
    ----
there are also at 4 circular markings at the gun mantlet, with in the centre a hole that burned through the armored plate

perhaps also some remain of some sort of testing Confused

#15: Re: Unusual Tiger I ? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:27 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
note that it has been repainted few days ago (photos from Dmitry Bushmakow). The paint job looks rather interesting :

P-O

Would it be ok to add these to the (recently added) Snegiri photos on PreservedTanks.com?

-> AFV News Discussion Board