Track of the day....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#331: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:56 am
    ----
Very nice. Mark Knopfler certainly wrote a timeless piece!!!

#332: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:34 pm
    ----
Listening to different acoustic covers of such a great hit song, you go me to thinking.

There are some fine classic tunes out there that have lent themselves very well to being covered in different ways. Some good some bad. And YouTube certainly has become a goldmine repository for both extremes.

So, lets pick a classic song that gets covered a lot, what is your favorite version of it that you can find of all the covers on Youtube? And what is the worst?

For example let's start with "She's Not There" as made popular by The Zombies in '64. Any nominees for best/worse cover version?

#333: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:03 pm
    ----
The song that turned me on to my favorite guitar player. Leo Kottke, 1970....aka the Master of the Twelve String.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkh7A6djTC4

#334: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:23 pm
    ----
Quite nice... listened to it while eating lunch at my desk. Finally made.some progress.on understanding more of the lyrics too!

#335: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:36 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Quite nice... listened to it while eating lunch at my desk. Finally made.some progress.on understanding more of the lyrics too!

You need (NEED!) to acquire a copy of his second album (really first major release) "6 & 12 String Guitar". All instrumental, no vocals. He does like to sing and does on 75% of his albums, in a self-described voice he likens to "geese farts on a muggy day). He also released a "One Guitar, No vocals" album after his hiatus with acute tendonitis, which was understandable given his playing style. He's a lot less aggressive in his style now, but his early stuff is what made him. I had "Mudlark" (with 8 miles high and some other awesome stuff) the entire time I was in VN...wouldn't have been without it. He's also hugely witty (very dry) and delight in person. Had the privilege to see several times. He was a protoge of John Fahey, the American Primitivist guitarist, and grew from there. He's played with everybody from Chet Atkins to Doc Watson (at least once altogether).

Here are some things to start you off...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXghB_ZpFPs
(Morning Is The Long Way Home is actually a song, here performed instrumentally only)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxaAcmoaBsM
This was from early in Lovett's career, each guy obviously wishing he had the other guy's skill set. The instrument break is hair raising.

...and just for fun....
www.youtube.com/watch?...F_PVgKfJ3g

#336: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:53 pm
    ----
File this under "Tracks of the Day" since it's a full album....and it's been a while....

www.youtube.com/watch?...&t=96s

Fresh new Heavy Blues/Rock from a band down in Melbourne. Lots of soul and the singer is at times reminiscent of Eric Burdon. Found it while taking an interesting tangent from the instrumental psychedelic space rock kick I've been on. Some really amazing bands popping up these days! Throw it on in the background and give it a listen....

#337: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:34 am
    ----
Robert Gordon and Danny Gatton edited to an awesome car video....nice old fashioned drag racing stuff.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziW27jyMYTg

#338: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 pm
    ----
Well for crying out loud!

Imagine my dismay when I saw that the response I *thought* I'd posted some time ago was not really here. So sorry to have left you hangin' Ascout. Swear I wrote and submitted a response. And I shoulda checked sooner.

Anyway - VERY cool tune with lotsa good twang. And you know I'm diggin' the vintage Ford stuff in the pits (even the pick-em-up truck!). And even a JUNGLE PAM sighting!!!! The Euro stuff looks a little out of place for a hot rod song, (particularly Citroen, ewwww?) but we won't tell nobody.

What car is at 1:11 in the video?

That '57 Chrysler is built for speed baby....

#339: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:05 pm
    ----
OK I'ma just gonna put this here and let it do it's thing...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR03tKMTmf8

Mr. Green Mr. Green

#340: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:06 am
    ----
How bout the first album you ever had? Anybody.

#341: Re: Track of the day.... Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:47 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

Mr. Green Mr. Green

Really enjoyed that video. Cool

Wheels

#342: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 am
    ----
Here's my very first album. Didn't know who they were but overheard my babysitter and her boyfriend talking about their newly released album so I asked my father to buy me the album. Wanted to impress my 21 year old babysitters 16 year old sister, who I had a crush on...I was 8. Laughing

www.youtube.com/watch?...aC1i4nvmI5

#343: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:59 pm
    ----
I would not have expected that but it makes sense now... anything to ingratiate ourselves to the fairer sex eh! So did it work??! Mr. Green

My answer is probably very predictable given that I was a 60's-70's child:

I'm just glad you didn't say "record" since it took me a while to save up for a turntable. Wore out my Realistic 8-track player though. And my Koss headphones got a lot of use too up until the family cat pooped in one of the ear cups. Don't ask how I found out... suffice to say NO CATS are allowed in Casa de Stoopy to this day.

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

#344: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 am
    ----
- wheelsup_cavu
- JG300-Stoopy

Mr. Green Mr. Green

Really enjoyed that video. Cool

Wheels

Glad you dug it Wheels! It definitely doesn't stink up the joint. Or if it does it's just the right kinda odor. Mr. Green

#345: Re: Track of the day.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
How bout the first album you ever had? Anybody.

Either this or Ventures in Space.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...euce_Coupe

I had a number of 45's before that, though, and this one album when I was about 9....I still have a copy! Below is just a portion of a full album adventure, including a moon or mars landing and, well, life on another planet. This was about '58 so there had been no manned spaceflight by anyone at this time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=poxUYao9nu8

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum