Armored tank does 114mph!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 pm
    ----
Brainchild of Preston Tucker (yes, that Tucker).

blog.modernmechanix.co...f-114-mph/

Luv them wheels, like wide white-wall tires!

#2: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:06 pm
    ----
they fail to mention that that speed was attained just seconds after it was puhed out of the loading ramp of a C-119 at 5000 feet Smile

#3: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:07 pm
    ----
- piney
they fail to mention that that speed was attained just seconds after it was puhed out of the loading ramp of a C-119 at 5000 feet Smile

Which just proves that Wheeled Deathtraps™ are not incompatible with the Air Mech concept.

#4: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:56 pm
    ----
78 mph over rough ground. Shocked

Looking at the ground clearance it must not have been too rough Mr. Green

I'll admit I thought it was going to be G%$&N propaganda Twisted Evil

#5: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:01 am
    ----
- bsmart

I'll admit I thought it was going to be G%$&N propaganda Twisted Evil

...and then you saw the wheels and knew it was not to be!

#6: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:05 am
    ----
Yeah, the car was rejected - but the turret made it onto the B-17, B-29, etc...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ton_Tucker

Neil

#7: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 am
    ----
hate to rain on the parade but the turrets used on various U.S. airforce aircraft were manufactured by Sperry, Martin, and Bendix. They are all different designs. The turrets on the B-29 are unmanned remote control units. I think just because it happens to be a round plexiglass turret people think they are all the same. I don't mean this as a slap at Tucker, he was very talented, but not the designer of those turrets on the aircraft. the aircraft turret that most resembles the one on the armored car is the British Boulton Paul fitted to Hudson bombers.

Piney

#8: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:39 am
    ----
- piney
hate to rain on the parade but the turrets used on various U.S. airforce aircraft were manufactured by Sperry, Martin, and Bendix. They are all different designs. The turrets on the B-29 are unmanned remote control units. I think just because it happens to be a round plexiglass turret people think they are all the same. I don't mean this as a slap at Tucker, he was very talented, but not the designer of those turrets on the aircraft. the aircraft turret that most resembles the one on the armored car is the British Boulton Paul fitted to Hudson bombers.

Piney

I was thinking the Martin B-10:

www.wingweb.co.uk/wing...Museum.jpg

The turret on the Tucker has nothing in common with a Superfort except for rotation, elevation, and two guns (as noted, operated remotely from a sighting bubble). Mah' ol' man trained on those B-29 gun sighting systems, which are even more removed from the Tucker than the Bendix and Sperry systems.

And let's not even delve into the wisdom of proposing plexi turrets for an armored vehicle....

#9: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 pm
    ----
- piney

Piney

Well, as a possible rejoinder, designed & manufactured - or rather designer & manufacturer - are not necessarily the same. Admittedly I'd need to do some research to confirm, but is it not possible that Tucker designed the initial concept for round plexiglass turrets - which were then taken into production by Sperry, Martin & Bendix?

Happened all the time, particularly during WWII. The Jeep was designed by one group and then production awarded to other companies.

Neil

#10: Re: Armored tank does 114mph! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:15 pm
    ----
The article on the Tucker is dated 1939.

Here is the martin B-10 that entered army service in 1934

I'm afraid it's just a Tucker admirer that got carried away at wikpedia

Piney

-> AFV News Discussion Board