WW2 in color Sherman brew up
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WW2 in color Sherman brew up Author: blair PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 am
    ----
www.youtube.com/user/U...WW2InColor

or if the link is gone search: 1945 Death in a Tank at Okinawa

Pretty amazing site

#2: Re: WW2 in color Sherman brew up Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:34 am
    ----
From the flipover, guy with a mine detector, and what appears to be a near 2' hole in the belly of the hull, I presume an enormous mine (maybe command-detonated, since the tracks appear basically intact).

I hope the crew went instantly, RIP.

#3: Re: WW2 in color Sherman brew up Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:49 am
    ----
IIRC, it was an aerial bomb or torpedo warhead fuzed as a land mine. The hole in the bottom is where the scape hatch was located.

KL

#4: Re: WW2 in color Sherman brew up Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:54 am
    ----
One crewman survived, he was blown out of the hatch by the explosion. I think that is him walking up in the green T-shirt then being consoled by the would be rescuers
if I remember correctly the cause was a Jap 500lbs .bomb buried and fused like a mine. Very, very ugly.
God bless them.
Mike Haines

#5: Re: WW2 in color Sherman brew up Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:03 am
    ----
Yes,

I remember seeing this on the history channel, "Color of War" or maybe the program on veterans letters home, not sure. They tried in vain to get the rest of the crew out, to no avail.

Joe D

#6: Re: WW2 in color Sherman brew up Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 am
    ----
There is a good book written by a Sherman crewman who served on Okinawa
Cutthroats by Robert Dick came out in 2006. He was an active member of the G104 discussion group. Unfortunately he died a few months after his book was published

-> AFV News Discussion Board