Starting to look alot like Christmas.
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Starting to look alot like Christmas. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:01 am
    ----
Well we got a dumping over the last 2 days here in Southern California. Hopefully it lasts. Will be our first White Christmas.

#2: Re: Starting to look alot like Christmas. Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:02 pm
    ----
Good stuff!!I'll bet that your dog enjoys the snow,were getting dumped on right now with a lot more to come thru the week end,

#3: Re: Starting to look alot like Christmas. Author: JG300-HoppaLocation: vernon BC PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:26 pm
    ----
WOW!!!!...I'm certainly not a well travelled man, not do I claim to be knowledgable about world weather patterns ...but this just dont look right for Socal......I'm sure it would make for a special christmas down there....as far as I'm concerned you can keep it......I hate the crap myself...lol

#4: Re: Starting to look alot like Christmas. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 am
    ----
Actually, wild weather including snow, and lots of it, at unexpected times goes hand in hand with So Cal, at least parts of it, certainly not the beach areas or San Diego, LA and so forth. But the mountains north of LA, extending west to the Los Angeles national forest, Mt. Baldy, including the ski areas of Wrightwood, then farther east through Arrowhead, Big Bear, and all that, get healthy amounts of snow. It's the high(er) altitude and strong local weather patterns.

When I lived in the high desert north of there, I remember getting surprise snowstorms including one in July when we got over a foot of snow. And if you want to talk about COLD......well maybe it's still not Canada, but nighttime in the high desert in winter still ranks as the coldest I've ever experienced, and that includes the Pacific Northwest and this east coast stuff I live in now. Cold that cuts right through your bones no matter what you're wearing, the minute the wind hits you. Just nothing there at that high altitude desert to retain any heat whatsoever when the sun goes down.

Mt. San Gorgonio, just about 80 miles due east of LA, goes over 11,000 ft. and has places where there are permanent snow, including a neat old plane wreck (Cessna 170, looked to me) that's been stuck in a permanent snowdrift ever since it crashed there decades ago. Hiked up to the peak one summer (stopping to inspect that wreck on the way) and dang near froze my tailbone off! Wink

Cool pics fr8ycat, hope it sticks around and here's to wishing for a white Christmas!

#5: Re: Starting to look alot like Christmas. Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:18 am
    ----
IT's 26 here in West Tx, feels like 14deg. No snow though.. Sad

#6: Re: Starting to look alot like Christmas. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:39 am
    ----
Yeah, the dog loved it. First snow he's been in since we've had him and with as excited as he was about it, probably the first snow he's ever seen.

Stoopys right. I by no means live in Downtown LA but I am in the Angeles National Forest (Los Angeles County) between Santa Clarita and the Antelope Valley (Palmdale, Lancaster, Mojave). We are at 3500ft elevation and usually get about a half dozen snowfalls a Winter but nothing more than 1-3 inches which is gone by the next day. In the 9 years we've lived here this is only the second time we've recieved this much snowfall in a 24 hour period, the first being febuary of 2001. Those High Desert winds will chill ya to the bone. In the dead of winter we can drop down into the teens at night.

All I know is I can take this every 7 years or so but with all the shoveling I've done over the last 3 days, I feel for those that get this on a regular basis. Smile

#7: Re: Starting to look alot like Christmas. Author: jg300-Deputy_DaleLocation: Orlando PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:38 am
    ----
ok...so its been high 70s to low 80s in orlando....which is nice sometimes. i'll take my girls up for snow maybe next years christmas break.

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum