Cascading Style Sheets
-> Software

#1: Cascading Style Sheets Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:34 am
    ----
I don't know if the penny has just dropped or it's still stuck halfway down the chute. Shocked

I always thought a CSS was an external template that you 'pulled' in on your web page.
I am right in thinking that the CSS is defined in the <head> of the page?

Dreamweaver gives me access to the CSS in a panel on the right of the design page, I'm presuming that this is the software just giving me a quick access to the routines defined in the <head> so if wanted to alter a CSS it's quicker to change parameters in the access panel than it is to go into the page code and do it?

Or am I just stupid and should have continued reading for the next five days. Shocked

#2: Re: Cascading Style Sheets Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 am
    ----
Sorry Kit,
Sometimes C-C topic updates aren't highlighted for me, so I missed this.

Are you familiar with CSS? Or just starting out?
If you're just starting out, I used to have some very good links which may help you.
I'll try and find them again.

[edit]
Examples of C.S.S. (click on the different headings in the right-hand Nav Bar - It's all the same web page just manipulated by CSS into those different layout/formats)

C.S.S. HOW TO Guide
[/edit]

I think of CSS as a formatting management system which makes your code more powerful (and a lot simpler) than HTML could be alone.
You can define CSS code individually, on the page itself, or as an external file.
If it's an external file, you simply tell the page where that file is located (in the header) so it knows where to get it's instructions from.

Although I have Web Premium CS3, which includes Dreamweaver as part of the package, I have not tried using it for coding so I don't know how to answer the DW part of your question I'm afraid.

#3: Re: Cascading Style Sheets Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:39 pm
    ----
Thanks for the links Shades.

I'm trying to do too much at the moment, learning CSS, adding tooltips to web pages, forcing new pages with set sizes and then I decided I want to investigate web forms...The form is not a problem, the processing of it is and I have to learn .php to get the form to do what I want it to do.

My head is about battered.

The biggest problem I'm getting is browser compatibility, you wouldn't believe the amount of bugs there is in IE, and having to alter code just to get IE to display correctly.

#4: Re: Cascading Style Sheets Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:10 pm
    ----
Bad news Kit, IE; Fox; Opera; you name it, they all interpret display instructions differently.

W3C was set up to try and get a concensus between all of them as to exactly how everything should display in each browser.
That was a few years, and a few browser versions, ago.
So far they're all so far up their own backsides no-one's insterested in making any concessions.
We're a way off being able to design a simple web page that will display the same in each browser yet.

I know what you mean about the different languages;
The more you find out about, the more you want to learn and use.
Got to CSS, and was starting with some javascript, when my head imploded.
Hardly done any since.
Don't even have my own site any more.
www.skwizz.co.uk just points to my Soundclick page now.
I should probably try and get back into it some time.

#5: Re: Cascading Style Sheets Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:16 pm
    ----
CSS is a 'definition sheet' linked externally by the main site index. It defines such things as font style, color, sizes as well as placements and descriptions of pics, Divs (boxes), etc. It other words, it's a layout description sheet. We use CSS here at CC to not only define the site but to allow us to offer cool features such as Theme Choices.

There's more advantages to using this set up and especially if you combine it with a database driven software such as php or asp. Wink

As far as compatibility with Browswers, that's been a real issue in working with IE. It seems as if MS tries to set their own standards and force others to follow. While this thinking from MS is antiquated and from days gone past, it simply won't work for them any longer. New Standards are in place that allows for all browsers to be cross platform compatible and MS needs to get on the 'wagon' or they'll loose even more patrons than they have to date. Browsers such as FireFox, Opera, Safari are as close to compliance as any and most webmasters are coding for that standard instead of IE. IE simply needs to follow suit and stop trying to rewrite the standards set.

Lynda dot com has some great tutorials you can check out... Wink

#6: Re: Cascading Style Sheets Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:51 am
    ----
Dreamweaver has a page check facility that will check the page for IE, opera, netscape etc. Up to now, it's always been IE that pops up with the compatibility issues.

That's the next step I think, Mysql/php so I can tie some spread sheet data and database tables into the web pages.

Trouble is, things don't sink in as quickly as they used too. Shocked
I don't need to know it all, (if that's ever possible), just enough to get it to do what I want it to do, but like most things, the more you know the easier it is to sort problems.

-> Software