Halftrack ID
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Halftrack ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:41 pm
    ----
Someone asked if I could ID this for them. I'm not very good on half tracks. What is it? Thanks in advance! Smile

#2: Re: Halftrack ID Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:43 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Someone asked if I could ID this for them. I'm not very good on half tracks. What is it? Thanks in advance! Smile

Looks invisible to me. Hard to tell. Mr. Green

#3: Re: Halftrack ID Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:14 pm
    ----
Yep, not quite enough information. Got a linky?

#4: Re: Halftrack ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:22 pm
    ----
D'OH!

#5: Re: Halftrack ID Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:10 am
    ----
this is most probably an M3 White, or an M5 International. Hard to tell which one without having access to the engine.

P-O

#6: Re: Halftrack ID Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:26 am
    ----
It's definitely not an International, they have "flat"front fenders.

Mike

#7: Re: Halftrack ID Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:56 am
    ----
www.halftracks.com/index.cfm

This link will take to half-tracked places even your internet imagination couldn't have predicted.

#8: Re: Halftrack ID Author: blair PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:12 am
    ----
I always wondered what the roller on the front was for?

#9: Re: Halftrack ID Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:08 am
    ----
- blair
I always wondered what the roller on the front was for?

To assist in crossing ditches, seems like it was one of those semisuccessful ideas and discontinued before the war ended.

Jens O.

#10: Re: Halftrack ID Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:01 pm
    ----
The vehicle in the picture has an exagerrated front bumper with a Power Take Otff (PTO) winch not a roller. From my experience in Jeeps, a winch is a much more productive lump of steel to carry on the front end than a roller.

#11: Re: Halftrack ID Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm
    ----
My best guess is an M3A1 APC halftrack. There appears to be a gun "pulpit" showing behind the kid at the passenger side of the halftrack's windshield. It has the "automotive" style fenders of the White?Autocar/Diamond T production. The headlights are the earlier pattern, being mounted out on the fenders. The APC has the extended front bumper with winch. I don't see any side access door of the M2 series. Not bad shape for this old beastie - where is it?

Gary

#12: Re: Halftrack ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:24 pm
    ----
It's at a war museum in Viet Nam.

#13: Re: Halftrack ID Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:39 pm
    ----
M3 that has been upggraded to a M3A1.

#14: Re: Halftrack ID Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:32 pm
    ----
My guess is it is a M3 that had a pulpit added in the field. I own both a M3 and a M3a1. When they upgraded the M3 to an M3a1, the headlights were removed from the fenders, and they went to the pedestal lights like tanks had, this one still has the fender headlights. Also the mine racks down the side were done when they upgraded to M3A1.

-> AFV News Discussion Board