Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 am
    ----
Made a trip to Little Rock today,

I already posted the AFV's so here is the artillery.

M1918
Data Plate
Muzzle
Breech Rear
Breech Top

M1A1
Data Plate
Muzzle

enjoy,

Joe D

#2: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:54 pm
    ----
That's actually an M1 4.5-inch gun. The gun serial should e the same place as on the 155mm howitzer, on the breech ring face, immediately above or below the breechblock.

A pretty rare beast because they had no real improvement over the 155H but required another caliber in the inventory. Declared obsolete as soon as possible.

KL

#3: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:54 pm
    ----
That's actually an M1 4.5-inch gun. The gun serial should e the same place as on the 155mm howitzer, on the breech ring face, immediately above or below the breechblock.

A pretty rare beast because they had no real improvement over the 155H but required another caliber in the inventory. Declared obsolete as soon as possible.

KL

#4: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:37 am
    ----
6 or 7 of them sitting in a row in a field at Fort Sill. I saw them a year or so ago. Not many around but a few...

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total

#5: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:41 am
    ----
Kurt,

Here is the breech view. SN looks like 1576

Breech

If I had a rag I would've cleaned off all the grease, although it was all welded up anyway.

Joe D

#6: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:41 am
    ----
Interesting

Looking at the Muzzle it says tube 576 but the breech sort of looks like it says 1576. I wonder if the grease was cleaned off if that is a 1 under that?

#7: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:29 pm
    ----
Bob,

Not sure how those 4.5 guns were made but in the case of tank guns, the breech assemblies are separate and have their own SN's. Barring any unforeseen damage a 120mm Breech will last three times the firing wear than the tube, that's why we track EFC's for both and send the data in every six months. I think 1576 and 576 might be a coincidence Confused . The original photo shows 1576 from what I can tell.

Joe D

#8: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:34 am
    ----
According to the OCMH procurement statistics (published 1952) there were only 426 4.5-inch guns made, along with 927 spare "cannons" and 233 spare recoil mechanisms.

Seems like 1576 would be a bit out of range.

KL

#9: Re: Some pieces from Camp Robinson, Little Rock Arkansas Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 am
    ----
Now that's a puzzler,

Based on your info, 576 would be a replacement tube, if tubes 1 thru 426 were used initially when new, but no way could be a breech. I blew up the breech number, it looks more like U576 to me.

Breech

Also, here's the recoil mech SN,

Looks like I need to take a rag with me next time I go to Little Rock. No problem, I need to go to LRAFB in a week or so.

Joe D

-> Artillery Forum