History Lesson ( ID test )
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:08 am
    ----
- Dontos
I had to include the 72 photo....

When I saw how the chopper looked in 72, it brought to mind a certain fellow 'lurkin' around it several years ago in Richardson. Cool

Oh check out the left skid...

....I've actually had the chance of tinkering with that same M60. Fired several hundred rounds of blank ammo on the rear of one of our ACAVs during the 'Armor in Asia' reenactment several years ago. She really 'sings' (even with blanks) Wink

Don

My pictures of it "now" also reflect those outboard runners, and I wondered what had been mounted on them.
'Ze problem, she is-a sol-ved!"

#17: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 am
    ----
Okay, since no one has ventured a guess, I'll jump in.

The museum at one time had three StuG III G's and one StuH 42 all from the same unit. They kept one StuG and the StuH, sent one StuG to the range ages ago and the other StuG went to Panzermuseum, Munster a few years back, maybe 25 years.

They also had two 251/9 halftracks, kept one and sent the other one to the range the same time they sent the StuG.

The 251/7 engineer halftrack seen in the right back corner went to Munster.

The early Hummel, second from the left with the single, raised driver's compartment, also went to Munster.

How'd I do?

#18: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:02 am
    ----
- Dontos
When I saw how the chopper looked in 72, it brought to mind a certain fellow 'lurkin' around it several years ago in Richardson. Cool

Don

I remember that guy...he totally creeped me out. I'd stay away from him if I were you.

Here are some of the steps on the way to the development of that system on the OH-13. An earlier version (tested as early as '56) was known as the "Old Ironsides" system.

Can you get a serial # off that bird? I'd like to compare against my issues of this multi-part series on armed helicopters in AAD.

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total

#19: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:04 am
    ----
Dont suppose that StuG "survives," in any form, on the range?

Neil

#20: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:16 am
    ----
I don't know. The curator told me that some point in the future, a survey of the range is supposed to be done by a contractor. They have been asked to be on the lookout for the StuG and 251.

#21: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: lehr PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 am
    ----
What is the small vehicle behind the Japanese tank (Ha Go?) and in front of the PzIII in the second picture?

#22: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:43 am
    ----
- lehr
What is the small vehicle behind the Japanese tank (Ha Go?) and in front of the PzIII in the second picture?

That is the RSO-Ost or Rauphenschlepper.

Don

#23: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am
    ----
- Dontos
That is the RSO-Ost or Rauphenschlepper. Don

To be completely exact:

RSO or Raupenschlepper Ost

Just earning my keep... Wink

Jens O.

#24: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:49 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- lehr

That is the RSO-Ost or Rauphenschlepper.

Don

Out of all the different variants made, I still like the self-propelled chassis with the PAK-40 mounted on the back the best. Razz

#25: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: lehr PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:19 pm
    ----
Thanks to all for the answers and pics!

#26: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 am
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
I don't know. The curator told me that some point in the future, a survey of the range is supposed to be done by a contractor. They have been asked to be on the lookout for the StuG and 251.

I too have confirmed that 1 StuG & 1 251/9 ended up as range targets in the early 60's. The exact location and/or range name is unknown.

A sad tale, but perhaps this is not the bitter end. Time will tell.

Don

#27: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:11 pm
    ----
Don,

I think there may be a REAL tough one in the back corner........( oppps, did I give a hint?) Mr. Green

Is it a Saurer RR7 Wheel/track vehicle behind the 251/7?

Best

David

#28: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 am
    ----
No, I think that is the Sdkfz 221 armored car. The museum still has that one.

#29: Re: History Lesson ( ID test ) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:04 pm
    ----
- zundappuk
Don,

I think there may be a REAL tough one in the back corner........( oppps, did I give a hint?) Mr. Green

Is it a Saurer RR7 Wheel/track vehicle behind the 251/7?

Best

David

Actually its the Sd Kfz 223 (funk)

Here is a shot I took of it being moved in Nov 2002

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board