Libya / WW2 Tank unearthed at construction site
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Libya / WW2 Tank unearthed at construction site Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:13 pm
    ----
Bob, it's not an uncommon conversion, there were a few in Egypt, some of which had been further converted with the turret from an AMX13. A similar vehicle to the wreck has recently been imported into the UK from Israel. It is in excellent condition but similar in build standard, i.e. M4A4 retrofitted with a single piece front, twin diesel conversion and M34 mount.

There is some suggestion they may be French in origin, I know the French re-engined M4A4 with R975 radials to make the M4A4T so that may be the source. As to when, I would guess early 1950s but it is just that, a guess.

Don, I understand, thankyou. Not a fan though.....the best tank of the war! Laughing

Regards,

Adrian Barrell

#17: Re: Libya / WW2 Tank unearthed at construction site Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 am
    ----
I don't want to break up what seems like a consensus - but is it definitely an M4A4? I have seen the situation before where the apparent gaps between the bogies are the result of the loss of roadwheel tyres, either through age or fire.

I wonder if we would still 'see' the gap there if the wheels still had their tyres.

#18: Re: Libya / WW2 Tank unearthed at construction site Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:18 am
    ----
Trevor, it's not just the bogie spacing that gives it away. It has the small square protector plates at the back corners of the turret splash ring which is a Chrysler only fitting making it either M4 or M4A4. The rear plate is most telling as you can see the hinges for the air deflector on the lower edge, only M4A4 and M4A6 had these. The bulkhead and rear plate design are also M4A4.

#19: Re: Libya / WW2 Tank unearthed at construction site Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:03 pm
    ----
That's more like it - you have me convinced.

-> AFV News Discussion Board