something for you Nam track drivers
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: something for you Nam track drivers Author: sapper141 PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm
    ----
Hi Guys
Thought some of you might be interested in a CVC helmet I refurbished a while back. That I had found in a flea market it was rough but was pretty much all there except for the mic.

I stripped the paint down to the fibreglass and believe me there was a lot of layers of old paint. Then I had find another helmet to get the mic parts. Which is easier said than done. The Vietnam CVC helmet are pretty hard to find. Well eventually I found one on Ebay. Took the electronics off and since it was a small helmet gave it to a friend for his son when they race around in the m38. Now since I work in radio communications I had to decide whether I should speaker and mic elements with new stuff or keep the original parts. In the end I decided to go original found the speakers weren't great but mic metered out.

When I re did the paint job I was able to re apply the texture that was on the helmet when it was first issued by using spraypaint and model railroad balist . Once the helmet had it's green on I decided to add the personal graphiti like the shield for the 11Cav or Darkhorse and the card hand as well as a few other odds and ends.

Hope you like it and I tried to keep it faithful
Seeya Sapper

#2: Re: something for you Nam track drivers Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:43 pm
    ----
Good job, very much approve. Old style mic, too, not many around in presentable condition. Based on an original, or was art your "conception"?

This kind came a little later...

#3: Re: something for you Nam track drivers Author: sapper141 PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:54 am
    ----
Thanks Doug
the art is a combonation of graphiti I've seen on helmets of the time. At first I thought about using the yellow Cav shield, but thought it would be more interesting with the 11th Cav shield with the red and white field. Things like the short timers calender and the playboy bunny I had seen on other helmets. The cards I just thought look cool especially when I painted it to look like they're fitted under the mic housing. And Ok I had to add my one of my own nicknames "Jester" Smile
Seeya Sapper

-> AFV News Discussion Board