MN Camp Ripley and more
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:59 pm
    ----
Good Morning,

Not sure if you have these updates or not I know you gotten a bunch...Had a great MN trip yesterday...

Nissawa, MN - is confirmed 2871A
Jenkins, MN - is confirmed 4113M

Brainerd, MN - has the M4 with the muzzle brake, not sure if I can answer the odd/fake question but I have a picture if you desire...it had 730 stamped on the front slope. They also added an M60A3 in the front lawn (2862A)

Little Falls, MN (I might relabel it to Camp Ripley instead of Little Falls).

M1 Abrams - Only M1 I found on post, it had H301 stamped on the front, and 0285 stamped on the rear right engine cover a bunch so not sure which is which.

M1IP - Never found and we drove a bunch.

M4A3E2 - Never found the 50487 I did see an 11 stamped but not sure if it was with more paint, if I get more specific directions I will look again this spring.

M48A1 - I think it might be an A2 not sure(I have picture). It was stamped 4627 and 108.

M60A1/A3 - I believe was an A3 but anyways it was stamped 993 on the tow hook. It also had TTS158 stamped on the front slope.

They also have an at the museum:

M110A2 - not sure where to look for SN

M113 - F7993 and 419 stamped on it. The F7993 on on the front with 419 and the rear ramp.

M42 - not sure where to look

M578 - Not sure where to look

M60 Turret - You can climb on in all you want they cut the side open for kids, like a playground with buttons that work. The top of the turret was welded with 2485. Then on the hatch (the one that is like a half circle hatch/left side of the M60) was stamped 66515. Not sure if you guys/gals can determine what those are.

TWO M60A3's:
Now outside of Camp Ripley by the cemetery (just east) and MN371 entrance ramp there are two (appear new) M60A3's on on the southbound side by the the actual cemetery stamped 2857. (it is on a circle hill) and another M60A3 on the northbound side of the 371 that was inaccessible during the winter due to the melting snow and swamp. But it looks nice.

If there is something I can do to confirm any of the Camp Ripley AFVs or look for something else let me I'll be there again in about a month and a half.

Vr hope these help.

Q

#2: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:42 pm
    ----
The M578 & M110 are the same base vehicle. I have found stampings on the front right & left corners of the hull beside the hull lifting eyelets.

I can provide sample photos if needed.

Don

#3: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:23 pm
    ----
Here is an example of the M110:

Don

#4: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:19 pm
    ----
- RhinoQ
Good Morning,

Not sure if you have these updates or not I know you gotten a bunch...Had a great MN trip yesterday...

Many thanks for these RhinoQ!

Little Falls, MN (I might relabel it to Camp Ripley instead of Little Falls).

M1 Abrams - Only M1 I found on post, it had H301 stamped on the front, and 0285 stamped on the rear right engine cover a bunch so not sure which is which.

The SN should be stamped on the side skirts...

M48A1 - I think it might be an A2 not sure(I have picture). It was stamped 4627 and 108.

Was either stamped on a tow lug?

M60A1/A3 - I believe was an A3 but anyways it was stamped 993 on the tow hook. It also had TTS158 stamped on the front slope.

If possible, you should also look for SNs stamped on the rear deck - check out the Serial Number Guide, it should help a lot!

Many thanks again!

Neil

#5: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:05 pm
    ----
Welcome Back RhinoQ,

I believe was an A3 but anyways it was stamped 993 on the tow hook

Almost fell over until I looked closer at the SN, missed by five digits. My second tank I ever served on and the first I ever gunned was M60A3 SN 998.
That one (SN 993) is an M60A3 because of the SN and the TTS 158 stamp. Production at Detroit switched to TTS for the Army after 748 Passives were delivered. Before anyone adds 748 to 158 and says the numbers don't match, there's a reason. Same time this was going on the Austrians and Saudi's were getting brand new M60A3 Passives. I am still holding out hope that either SN 998 or SN 1020 will be found somewhere between Wisconsin and Minnesota. The Guard up there got their tanks from Europe. That's why you find quite a few Mainz rebuilds there.

Thank you for the updates and yes, I for one would love to see pictures.

edit: Is there any chance the SN 2857 didn't end with an "A" ? Bit high for a new A3.

#6: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Welcome Back RhinoQ,

I believe was an A3 but anyways it was stamped 993 on the tow hook

Almost fell over until I looked closer at the SN, missed by five digits. My second tank I ever served on and the first I ever gunned was M60A3 SN 998.
That one (SN 993) is an M60A3 because of the SN and the TTS 158 stamp. Production at Detroit switched to TTS for the Army after 748 Passives were delivered.

Oh right, I always forget about the new build M60A3s...

Neil

#7: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:06 am
    ----
Thanks guys,

The one by MN 371 did have an A I forgot it
sorry 2857A

I'll get to the other one across the highway this spring once this place dries out...

Regarding the M578/M110 they were painted over in that case...I look at the hooks...I'll see what I can find out from the museum next time...

Neil, Regarind the M48 neither were on the tow eye, they were both on the front slope see pictures titled m48 stamps.

These two flickr pages should answer everyones questions I hope I have a bunch of pictures if you need to see something else.

Also take a look at the picture of the artillery pc...it is an M114 at Akeley, MN...I didn't see an AFV M114 at the VFW, I was a the right place though...the right VFW post at least. Maybe a mix up?

www.flickr.com/photos/32027541@N06/

#8: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 am
    ----
Joe,

Next time I'm at Camp Ripley I'll stop by the motor pools and get the SN's on the M60s in the back they have just sitting there...they had one or two I could see from off post...

Maybe we can find that 998/1020...for you.

Vr

Q

#9: Re: MN Camp Ripley and more Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:44 am
    ----
RhinoQ,

You'd make my day. If they didn't repair a mod we did on SN 998, I could ID her from the front very easily. Seems like most Guard posts have a few M60's squirreled away for later display. Camp Shelby MS and Camp Robinson AR come to mind.

That SN for the M48A1 is correct (4627). When the newer low IR decks came out with the A2's they started stamping them by the left rear. Same with the M103's.

Thanks for sharing.

-> AFV News Discussion Board