Sherman getting a concrete job
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:54 pm
    ----
Concrete job

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:12 pm
    ----
Looks like a lot of work. What was its main purpose? Defeat HEAT rounds...panzerfaust/panzerschrecke? Or was it additional armor for AP?

#3: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:13 pm
    ----
I wish the guy in front wasn't hiding the bow MG.

Gives a whole new meaning to 'Composite Hull' Laughing

#4: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: claude_GILLONO PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:32 pm
    ----
Most probably against hollow charge rockets
HTH

#5: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: claude_GILLONO PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:34 pm
    ----
Nice 105mm armed Shermie
M4A3 judging by the upright grill arrest plate on the rear side engine deck

#6: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:54 pm
    ----
ask and you shall recieve

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

#7: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 pm
    ----
I see sandbags. I wonder if the layer of cement just held them in place?

#8: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 pm
    ----
The second tank is a M4A3(76) but apparently "concreted" by the same unit. I guess they didn't plan on using the gun travel lock anytime soon.

#9: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm
    ----
I wonder if that's Stolberg, Germany? Here's an excerpt from a book...

"The tank crews took every means available to reinforce the front glacis plate. They stored spare track blocks and bogey wheels there. Some crews put sandbags on the glacis plate; others used a combination of logs and sandbags laced together with chicken wire.
At Stolberg the crews continued their efforts at the abandoned cement factory, making concrete armor..."

#10: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:50 pm
    ----
Photo have no info on them, so it could be.

#11: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:06 pm
    ----
The sandbags actually helped keep the concrete in place. PATTON hated seeing any Sherman sandbagged and probably even this method too. Razz

#12: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:05 pm
    ----
Patton hated any non standard 'armor' He felt that it overloaded the suspension and drive train and made the tank less manuevrble. He felt the Sherman was balanced as built and that the jury rigged armor only made performance deteriorate. What he didn't consider was the psychological effects of the extra 'armor'

#13: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:50 am
    ----
That Panzefaust made it real easy to kill a Sherman, not that it wasn't already.

Any dedicated teenager (Hitler Youth) could use it. Knowing how to stay alive after launch was the key. Unfortunately many did not listen to the older vets and "Volks Sturm" to just go home.

#14: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:49 pm
    ----
Nice photos. I had seen the 105H version but not the close up of the 76mm.

Obviously the concrete would have very little effect on an incoming 75mm or 88mm AP so the main effect would have been against HEAT weapons, plus the psychological advantage.

On the Patton comment - yes, he hated the extemoraneous armor, but in Feb 45 the Third Army DID authorize a "standard" upgrade using steel salvaged from other tanks.

Gary

#15: Re: Sherman getting a concrete job Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 pm
    ----
I found titles.... these are from the Patton Museum Library

A German Panzerfaust 100 penetrated the side of the M4A3E8 tank reinforced with 7” of concrete at a distance of 20 feet. 1st Armored Group, VI Corps, US 7th Army, Neupfotz, Germany 3/28/45

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board