Visiting New Orleans next week - Jackson Bks & WWII Museums
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Visiting New Orleans next week - Jackson Bks & WWII Museums Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:09 pm
    ----
FYI, I will be in New Orleans early next week. While my first priority will be Bourbon Street & the French Quarter, etc - I am planning to get to the Jackson Barracks Military Museum & the National WWII Museum.

Here's what I currently have down for those two museums...

Jackson Barracks Military Museum, 6400 St Claude Ave (N29 57.557 W90 0.383)
FT-17 USA ind Cast metal turret
M4A3E9(75) Sherman USA out
M5 Stuart USA out “Enforcer”
M16A1 GMC USA out
M19 USA out
M20 USA out
M42 Duster USA out
M60 USA out
M75 USA out
MT-LB SOV/IRQ out Captured by 527th Engineer Battalion

National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St (N29 56.587 W90 4.219)
LVT5? USA ind
M3? Half-Track USA ind
M4A3E9(75) Sherman USA out? Has E9 fittings

Frankly I havent come across really any good photos of either collection, so this should hopefully be a good trip. Will be particularly good to see how both have survived Katrina...

Please let me know of any "special requests."

I may also try to confirm the two M5 Stuarts that are supposedly at a Legion post in Chalmette according to TACOM... But... They dont have a listed number, and according to the Louisiana department of the AL its not an active post... That being said, there may still be a building with two Stuarts - assuming they werent washed away during Katrina...

I may also get to see something else special... But have to play that one by ear Wink

Neil

Neil

#2: Re: Visiting New Orleans next week - Jackson Bks & WWII Muse Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:36 pm
    ----
well, a recent picture of the FT-17 will be the most welcome !!

P-O

#3: Re: Visiting New Orleans next week - Jackson Bks & WWII Museums Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:55 pm
    ----
Neil

In 1990 I was part of a funeral detail from Ft Polk. We did a funeral in Chalmette. I vaguely remember the American Legion, but don't remember any statics in town.

The Stuart at Jackson Barracks was supposed to have been fully restored, but the last word I got was they were looking for technical assistance. The museum's displayed vehicles were submerged during Katrina and very needy for more than cosmetic restoration. Hopefully they got things figured out and fixed up.

I have family members that do frequent day trips to New Orleans, but for some reason I never thought about asking for info or updates on the stuff there. Cool

I've never been to either the D-Day Museum or Jackson Barracks, BUT ask me about the French Quarter (or Bourbon St) and I know just about every 'nook & cranny'. Pat O'brians was a second home when I was attending LSU in Baton Rouge. Perhaps the reason I enlisted after 6 years of college. Shocked

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Visiting New Orleans next week - Jackson Bks & WWII Museums Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 pm
    ----
Don, thanks.

The Legion in Chalmette was first charted in the 1930s, but was first closed in the 1970s. I assume it had the Stuarts in that period. It was re-charted in 2003, but has since closed again... Who knows... I'm not optimistic on the Stuarts...

It will certainly be interesting to see what Jackson Barracks has and what condition it is all in...

Pat O'Briens is on the list, as is Brennan's, Mike Anderson's, Central Grocery, Port of Call, Cafe du Monde, House of Blues, etc... I have a handy new blackberry - I avoided it, but am now firmly addicted - with Google Maps and all of the museums & places plotted in Wink But feel free to send me any recommendations via PM or e-mail.

Neil

#5: Re: Visiting New Orleans next week - Jackson Bks & WWII Museums Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:13 pm
    ----
MIKE ANDERSONS !!!! HELL YEAH! That is a must. I was a regular at Mike Andersons in BR. Hattisburg Mississippi has a Mike Andersons also, GREAT FOOD. AHHHH YEEEE !!!

Preservation Hall was awesome but may have been hurt by Katrina. If its open, its a must.

I'll check the Register for any 'near by' possibilities and let you know if you have some extra time.

Don

#6: Re: Visiting New Orleans next week - Jackson Bks & WWII Museums Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 pm
    ----
Heres one:

LAPLACE
VFW Post 3337, 500 W 5th St
M114 USA out? Unconfirmed

VFW - LaPlace Louisiana (M114)

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board