Back from Mississippi with ID quiz
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:06 am
    ----
Hi everyone,

Below is a link to a bunch of pictures I took of the Camp Shelby Museum Storage yard. I couldn't get inside since it was Sunday morning.

Lets see how many vehicles we can ID.

BTW, there are quite a few that are not in the register.

Camp Shelby Museum Storage

#2: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:21 am
    ----
I think I can make out an early M48 gasser, a LARC, and a Bluebird school bus body!

What a mess!

Love the new avatar. Wink

#3: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 am
    ----
I see

Doug's M48
either an M42 or M19 40mm AA gun
a couple of M47s
an M26
a Weasel(?), maybe two
a Gamma Goat,
the LARC,
a FWP MT-LB variant (I think) of some sort
a couple of UH-1s hiding in the background (one is a D-model or later)
a HST prime mover of some flavor, maybe?
an M75 APC
another first-gen APC (can't remember the nomenclature)
the backside of what appears to be a LAV-25, maybe?
a BTR-70 (80?) that appears to be set up as some sort of firefighting vehicle
a 1950-1960s Navy jet hiding behing the UH-1s
some sort of tracked recovery vehicle way on the other side of the lot

I'm sure there is more!

CS

#4: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:07 am
    ----
I see the back end of a DUKW

#5: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:30 pm
    ----
The Navy jet is an F9F Cougar, I believe. There is also the fuselage of a C-47/DC-3/R4D or whatever you wanna' call it.

#6: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:37 pm
    ----
There's a lot of stuff that sure could occupy those vacant pads in front of the museum.

Check out the dozer real close.

Doug might know what I'm talking about.

#7: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:51 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
There's a lot of stuff that sure could occupy those vacant pads in front of the museum.

Check out the dozer real close.

Doug might know what I'm talking about.

Sho' nuff' looks like a Rome Plow. Looks to be in decent shape, too.

#8: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:21 pm
    ----
That's what she be.

Shame this State Museum doesn't have the funding to get all this stuff fixed up and displayed. To think all the money the Federal Government will piddle off doing all these moves (Knox to Benning, Aberdeen to Lee, Bliss to Sill, and Hood to Carson to name a few).

Money would be better spent restoring the stuff and leaving it in place, would be cheaper to bus students (AOB to name a group) to the equipment. The value is the items, not the location, besides, virtual tours should suffice with the internet. Ever see when they come through, most are busy goofing off.

I say, Keep them where they are and improve the facilities locally.

#9: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: HellonwheelsV100 PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 pm
    ----
M59 APC with turret
V300 or V600?

looks like the quite the treasure chest.

#10: Re: Back from Mississippi with ID quiz Author: HellonwheelsV100 PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:58 pm
    ----
M59 APC with turret
V300 or V600?

looks like the quite the treasure chest.

-> AFV News Discussion Board