Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:46 pm
    ----
Very good & successful AFV roadtripping yesterday.

I had some difficulty trying to figure out in advance if the Jackson Barracks Military Museum was open or not. The museum website doesnt appear to have changed since before Katrina, but no one answers the phone, etc. So I decided to simply drive there and see what I could, even if just the outside exhibits rather than the museum itself... Upon arriving there, it appears that the museum is not technically open - and I assume has not been open since Katrina... That being said, no one stopped me (only construction workers were around) when I drove in through the exit - the only open gate Wink

Here's the M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart. BTW, I poked my nose in a couple of open buildings (they were dark & I didnt come prepared with a flashlight so I didnt go in very far), but all I saw were empty/cleaned out rooms. No signs of the FT-17 or MT-LB.

M4A3E9 Sherman - couldnt find a SN anywhere...

M5 Stuart

Is this an SN?

Gotta run to the airport soon - more later... Including a surprise Wink

Neil

#2: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:21 pm
    ----
What happened to the M60 ???

Was there post Katrina.

#3: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:54 pm
    ----
That's in the ''more later'' part Joe - be patient! Wink

Neil

#4: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:55 pm
    ----
Standing by..............

#5: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm
    ----
The M5 is interesting since it presents a rare view of the early solid 14-tooth drive sprocket. Easily identified by not only counting the teeth, but also by observing the bolts are centered below the throats of the teeth rather than the points as on the later 13-tooth sprocket.

#6: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:21 pm
    ----
Neil, the cast-in numbers are the part and serial numbers for the part, not the tank. The stamped in number may be the tank serial. It should have been visible around the upper weld line of the casting or on the bulge of the transmission cover.

Looking at the handy dandy field guide, this tank has a ventilator, making it > 500, > 2317, or > 3292. As Bob astutely noted, it has a 14T sprocket, so likewise < 701, < 2372, and < 3298. The "clip" type track stowage means that it is probably not a Cadillac-Southgate vehicle, while the combination of engine deck screws and sprocket means it is probably not a Massey-Harris vehicle. So my guess is that it is a S/N between 501 and 700. A clear look at the glacis screws would cut that range in half. What was stamped?

KL

#7: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 pm
    ----
This place was a mess just 2 years ago - seems like they have done a lot of good work since
www.facebook.com/media...3516869940
(no AFV photos unfortunately).

#8: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:30 am
    ----
We went by the museum back at the end of August, and at that point the museum was not open. However, the gate guard (reservist or National Guardsman) said that it would be open again in about a month.

#9: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm
    ----
When I visited 2 years ago it wasnt exactly open either...

But then there was no guard at the gate, just some construction workers around...

#10: Re: Jackson Barracks #1: M4A3E9 Sherman & M5 Stuart Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 pm
    ----
We visited in September 2011.
We tried to get on post to look around, but the Guard had moved back in and we were stopped by a guard at the gate. She told us the museum was expected to re-open by the end of this year.
We drove along the exterior fence and saw the aircraft on display, but no sign of any AFVs that we could see.

VB

-> AFV News Discussion Board