WTH? ( what the heck?)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: blair PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:03 pm
    ----
www.strategypage.com/m...26522.aspx

What is the purpose of these covers?

( BTW I thought I had posted this the other day... Sad )

#2: Re: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:19 pm
    ----
Heat reduction, apparently...

"The Danish version of the Leopard 2A5 is fitted with Swedish-made Barracuda camouflage mats, that serve to limit the absorption of solar heat, thus reducing infrared signature and interior temperature"

I've seen reports of this having been removed from service due to decontamination problems, if it's the same stuff.

Here's an interesting thread...

www.armorama.com/modul...366&page=1

#3: Re: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:25 am
    ----
The Canadians have a sort of combat beach umbrella for their Leo IIs in Afghanistan. Combat Camera is full of shots.

#4: Re: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:22 pm
    ----
Hey JG300-Ascout,

The currently used Barracuda mats are different than what the Danes used on their Leopard 1A3 and 1A5s that caused the decontamination issues. The old system was basically glued right to the tank and was almost like thick astro turf.

#5: Re: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm
    ----
Same type of Camo on Australian ABRAMS..............

img147.imageshack.us/i...15534z.jpg

Regards,

BRIAN

#6: Re: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: blair PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 am
    ----
awesome picture!

#7: Re: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:52 pm
    ----
Here's another shot giving a slightly different angle showing the rear somewhat clearer.............these are VERY HiRes images reduced in size.

img218.imageshack.us/i...415867.jpg

The M-88's we have in Australia also have the same Barracuda system being developed for them. At the moment they are NOT commonly seen with this Camo Overlay system installed.

The Swiss Army have trialled it on their Leopard 2's altho whether bought is another question!

Regards,

BRIAN

#8: Re: WTH? ( what the heck?) Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:17 pm
    ----
Can't say as I think the bits tacked onto the Abrams road wheels will last long.

-> AFV News Discussion Board