In Fayetteville /Bragg for a few days - any requests?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: In Fayetteville /Bragg for a few days - any requests? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:29 am
    ----
I already did the 82nd Airborne Division & Airborne/Special Operations Museums a couple of years ago, although I could try to stop by again...

I guess I could try to check out the M60 at the front gate of Camp McKall, but I suspect that may be easier said than done...

Neil

#2: Re: In Fayetteville /Bragg for a few days - any requests? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 am
    ----
Neil,

Check your PM's, pronto. Wink

D.

#3: Re: In Fayetteville /Bragg for a few days - any requests? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:38 am
    ----
Neil,

Just flash your "CIA Membership" Card, that should give you access anywhere Laughing

#4: Re: In Fayetteville /Bragg for a few days - any requests? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:32 pm
    ----
Well, I realized last night that McKall is a good hour's drive west, and off the beaten path. Probably another time...

Neil

#5: Re: In Fayetteville /Bragg for a few days - any requests? Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:08 am
    ----
I was at McKall about two years ago, I don't remember an M60 sitting at the front gate (well the enterance, not really a gate there...) They had a Huey and a BMP to the right and a T-72 straight a head on a sand trail...

#6: Re: In Fayetteville /Bragg for a few days - any requests? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:10 am
    ----
Speaking of Camp Mackall, (BTW). I have had a "Twilight Zone" evening.

A frequent poster of "Pic of the Day" images here at C-C (who lives in Holland) contacted me recently asking if I knew any 101st vets. Being one myself, I said "yes...why?"

He said he had some materials left behind by a member of the 501st Infantry, 101st Abn. and might I find a suitable contact or home for same.
The search was on.

A little internet searching and a few phone calls later, I was speaking with the man himself. Frail, suffered recent personal loss, but when I started to read his Service # off of an envelope sent him in Sept. '44, he completed the number before I could. The blog below is how I found him, written by the son of Lt. Marks in front row, beside whom this individual was standing when a sniper bullet found Lt. Marks' forehead. Elements of the Co. are pictured at the link at Camp Mackall in '44. Notice the number of individuals with "KIA" written on...

tripsremarks.blogspot....ferry.html

photos1.blogger.com/bl...250003.jpg

I spoke with wife of grandson tonight and expect to hear from grandson tomorrow and will ask about one of two sons who will also be astounded.

This is 65 years after the fact, and the material, stashed away in haste in a town in Holland is stunning. I was honored to speak with the addressee of letters long forgotten...

Simply amazing, this whole internet thing....

-> AFV News Discussion Board