M60A2 w Dozer mounted
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 pm
    ----
These were forwarded to me by a friend. This is the M60A2 (w/ Dozer mounted) that is part of the collection at Anderson Indiana.

Don

#2: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 pm
    ----
Yep, been there. They even have/had a Bren Carrier.

#3: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 am
    ----
The only M60A2 with M9 Dozer left AFIAK.

#4: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 am
    ----
Gentlemen: first one of those I've ever seen.

"Track pad change, on your mark, set...GO!"

#5: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:23 am
    ----
AFV Register lists as just an M60A2 and unconfirmed. this is what caused me to post the photos.

With only 11 surviving M60A2's, this is the only one w/ plow. I guess this raises the question, how many of the 500+ M60A2's were made in this configuration??

Joe....????

Don

#6: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:11 am
    ----
By MTOE,

Every Tank Company, A1 and A2, had two, XO was one and the other depended on local SOP's. Usually second platoon. This was when we had 5 tanks per platoon with a Heavy and light section in each. Once operational, all A2's were assigned to Tank Battalions, no CAV units with the exception of the School House at Knox (6th CAV). The most at any given time were 6 BN's in Europe and 1 at Fort Hood. Rough estimate based on MTOE and units fielded, 42 out of 540 manufactured.

Seven Battalions with three Companys x two each = 42.

Doesn't mean there wasn't more, but if, not many. The M9 blade kit wasn't something you could just slap on like the Roller or Plow for an M1. Required some welding on the hull along with installation of the Pump on the PTO of the Trans and Plumbing. On the A2 was even more work since the CBSS compressor also ran off the Trans PTO.

This one might just have been luck that she survived, unless they specifically requested a blade A2 for their museum. If they did, Kudos to them.

#7: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:39 pm
    ----
This is interesting. Back in the 70s when the A2s first came out I wrote the PIO at ATAC to ask about M60A2 dozers and he replied that the CBSS compressor prevented mounting of the dozer kit. It looks like somebody fixed the situation somewhere along the line. They probably got the scientists and officers out of the way and turned the project over to an NCO who promptly fixed the thing so it would work.

Nice find!

Gary

#8: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:26 pm
    ----
Is it possible that this one does not have CBSS?...I notice it has a bore evacuator (as many do). Were any built without it (Joe?)

#9: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm
    ----
.......that the CBSS compressor prevented mounting of the dozer kit

Gary,

Never thought of that problem until now. I'm wondering if they just didn't delete one of the two compressors off the angle drive gear box and replaced it with the hydraulic pump for the blade kit. The system was "Dual-Redundant" that way. Looking at the CBSS system I'm willing to bet some maintenance NCO or Warrant came up with the idea. The M551 had only one compressor in the turret and it was electric drive. Can't see why an A2 couldn't operate with only one, just install the blade pump on the right and make longer lines for it. Most of the kit was on the outside of the hull. That's what I'd recommend. Depending when this mod took place would most likely change my guess on how many were made .

I haven't really looked into that part of the A2 (Blade Kits), but since you brought it up I might. Now I'm Curious how they actually did it Confused .

#10: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:35 pm
    ----
I'm no M60[A2] expert, but I don't think that I have ever seen an A2 with a dozer blade before. But then again, I didn't serve in a 'missile tank' battalion; shows ya what I know. I was really surprised when Don posted the pictures in the original post. Perhaps some former M60A2 crewmen can chime in?

Kevin Pruit? Kevin Pruit?

Mark

#11: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:14 pm
    ----
- Buq-Buq
Kevin Pruit? Kevin Pruit?

Mark

Might you mean Dwight Pruitt? He's only visited here a couple of times and pretty much dropped off the scope. Had posted frequently on another site up until a couple of years ago, but left over some privacy issues that had arisen there.

Would love to have him participate again, here or elsewhere.

#12: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:18 pm
    ----
JG300-Ascout-I'd say they all had CBSS. I think they used the gun with the bore evacuator until all stocks were delpeted. Since the would work with CBSS. Not sure on the A2 but on the Sheridan when it had the bore evacuator with CBSS the gun was called M81 (Modified). The 'modified' is probably the hole in the left side of the tube that the compressed air blew in to.

#13: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:19 pm
    ----
Doug,

All M60A2's had CBSS. M60A1E1 and A1E2's initially didn't, but by 1968 it was implemented and firing of conventional ammo was allowed again. Shortly there after other major problems developed (Recoil and stabilization ) which caused tank assembly to halt. NOV 71 DA approved a contract for Chrysler to retrofit the 300 M60A1E2's sitting in storage which solved all these issues. Delivery was supposed to start OCT 72 but slipped to FEB 73 because of a labor strike of one of the sub contractors.

Bore evacuator on an M60A2 is sorta a red herring. Means nothing in regards to CBSS installation. Just redundant from initial build prior to conversion. Tube was only good for 500 EFC rounds IIRC, so eventually it would be replaced with later model. Much like the M60's near their end. Many had their M68 105mm guns replaced with M68A1's, since that's what was available. Performance was the same.

The following applies to your experience Doug,

" .....Deputy Secretary of Defense, on 4 November 1971, approved the program subject to certain constraints, including an intensified confirmatory troop test."

8 November 1971 system was type classified "Standard A", M60A2.

#14: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:57 am
    ----
Doug:

Yeah, Dwight is correct. Kevin was a guy I went to AIT with, who ended up in 3/12 Cav.

I've noticed lately, that my brain is starting to turn to mush . . .

Mark

#15: Re: M60A2 w Dozer mounted Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:55 am
    ----
Mark,

I spent time in 3/12 along with old "Tumbleweed" Mark Holloway, Albeit different time frames.

-> AFV News Discussion Board