Flooding the System?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Flooding the System? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:59 pm
    ----
Somebody explain how this is occurring to me? All I was trying to do is correct a spelling issue and it warned me the next time I would be banned.

Banned for what? Being faster than this system can handle? I'm certainly not doing it on purpose and that warning is really very rude.

#2: Re: Flooding the System? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:01 pm
    ----
Agreed, but be careful. I didn't wait quite long enough one time, and got banned (until admins came to the rescue).

#3: Re: Flooding the System? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:13 pm
    ----
Jeff,

I get warned at least once a week Rolling Eyes , and sometimes banned, but it's usually only for 15 minutes.

Bob or Doug explained to me the system is set up to prevent those bloody spam bots from infiltrating the site. If you were around before CC hosted you'll remember how they ruined the old one. Shame too since on the old one members had much greater access from work computers. But it's better than no site at all. Welcome to the "We are watching you Club" Laughing

I just got warned trying to post this message

#4: Re: Flooding the System? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:26 pm
    ----
Yeah, I was around before the switch over here and remember those days. Myself being a moderator on another forum the word "banned" to me is a serious issue and having been warned that way I was caught off guard.

Thanks for the explanation.

#5: Re: Flooding the System? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 pm
    ----
What Joe said....
It's an anti-spam 'bot measure. Spam 'bots use automated systems to explore access to websites and, being 'bot's, don't actually have to press buttons to change or refresh pages. Ours is set to two seconds for the first "click", then 4-5, then after last warning, you are banned (until you ask an admin to re-admit you). Hey, it's happened to me, too.

Solution is to slow your button presses when you click and you won't see it.

It's a bit of an inconvenience, but since 'bot's can "flood" your system, it's an unfortunate security measure. If you recall what happened to the old site, you can appreciate this. "Flooding" slows access to the site for everyone, and is a "signature" feature of 'bots.

On occasion, before this was instituted, I took a few screenshots of the bar on the left side of your page that shows >100 "visitors" to the website. As this never happens in reality ("stats" shows this, and you can view them, too), it was 'bots hitting the website trying to get in. They were unsuccessful. Admins here is VERY serious about security and I'm thankful for it. So should you be...it keeps the nonsense to a minimum and insures continuation of the site with no "leaks".

Just slow down your clicks and don't ignore the warnings. After the second one, you have to email someone to get back on. Yes...it's a pain. Thank the buttheads who write these programs.
Wink

#6: Re: Flooding the System? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:43 pm
    ----
For example, just after I posted the message above, I took a look....

Wink

#7: Re: Flooding the System? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 pm
    ----
How big is the problem? 30% of the "traffic" to the site....

Does this happen elsewhere? Yes. But the membership here is pretty well protected.

#8: Re: Flooding the System? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 am
    ----
i got hit with the flood message when I attempted to ge back and edit a message I had just posted. I was able to go back a few more seconds, maybe a minute, later and re-edit my post.

#9: Re: Flooding the System? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 am
    ----
Thanks Doug for the education!! Shocked I just type way too fast, and then try to navigate the same way. Laughing

I'll sloooooow down from now on.

-> AFV News Discussion Board