T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhovo (Pskov region)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhovo (Pskov region) Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:36 pm
    ----
Same place, where has been recovered T-34 "Sniper" (now in running condition, Kubinka tank museum).
iluki.ru/gorod/foto/3959/#iluki

Tank have nickname "Smeliy" (Brave), tactical markings same, than T-34 "Sniper". No crew inside.

Last edited by Taranov on Sun May 10, 2009 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:50 pm
    ----
Video, on russian:
www.tv100.ru/news/V-Ps...awili-tank

Tank lost in 12 december 1942

#3: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:38 pm
    ----
Very interesting.

#4: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:38 pm
    ----
- Taranov
Same place, where has been recovered T-34 "Sniper" (now in running condition, Kubinka tank museum).

Tank have nickname "Smeliy" (Brave), tactical markings same, than T-34 "Sniper". No crew inside.

Do you have any idea how hard it is not read it as "Smelly"? Smile

#5: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:55 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
- Taranov

Do you have any idea how hard it is not read it as "Smelly"? Smile

The crew obviously liked apricots Mr. Green

#6: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:00 pm
    ----
Seriously!! Can you image pulling something like that out of your own land? I couldn't get that lucky, even if I lived over there ... what a treat that would be!!

I wonder if they have any weird laws that would prevent the land owner from keeping it?

#7: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:20 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
Seriously!! Can you image pulling something like that out of your own land? I couldn't get that lucky, even if I lived over there ... what a treat that would be!!

I wonder if they have any weird laws that would prevent the land owner from keeping it?

Yes they have but I don't remember how severe they are, Taranov might be able to fill in?

#8: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:05 pm
    ----
Fantastic stuff, Taranov, thanks for posting!

What might you know about the generation of old folks present receiving flowers and recognition....family of crew (since the vehicle was identified) or just locals who were around during the Great Patriotic War? I guess the latter since they seem to have been there from before the vehicle was extracted and identified.

Was there a combat load of ammunition on board that had to be removed/disposed of?

What can you tell us about the local area and action in which these vehicles came to be lost (if you know)?

#9: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 pm
    ----
They not lost in action.
Ordinary incident: they have map, where area looks like field, and arrived on the frozen swamp..

#10: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:06 pm
    ----
They had never heard of the old Ft Polk proverb

'Don't go where the yellow flowers grow'

Great post, thanks

Don

#11: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:49 am
    ----
It looks like those Russians had three choices of dress of the day - camouflage, jeans or "street" clothes.

#12: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhoveo (Pskov region) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:05 pm
    ----
the original paint job is interesting. But for sure it will be repainted, such a shame..

P-O

#13: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhovo (Pskov region) Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:44 am
    ----
They can't see any flowers in december Smile

#14: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhovo (Pskov region) Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:28 pm
    ----
... as was illustrated by a field lecture we were given on map reading on a a cold day in February. On a trailer, as a side-scene, was an S-tank that stunk to high heaven of bog, peat, mud and ice was peeling of it in chunks.

A bog looks like any other clearing, field and (god forbid) lake with 3 feet of snow on it. As the Major said, with a sweeping gesture to the tank in the backdrop - So ... CHECK THE MAP, and be DAMN CERTAIN on where YOU are on the map!!!

It's all to easy now with a bulls-eye GPS in every cell-phone.

#15: Re: T-34 recovered from swamp near Malakhovo (Pskov region) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:53 pm
    ----
hello,

it appears that "the brave" has ended up at the Stalin Line museum in Belarus :

I've compared the tank that was recovered in 2009 in Russia and this one, thet are identical on the photos (same side mudguards, same type of roadwheels etc..), so no doubt that it is the same tank. I wonder how it ended up in Belarus (just like the Panzer III).

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board