Tiger II under restoration in Full
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:01 am
    ----
The amazing thing is that it has been stored outside for at least the last 30 years, which makes the condition even more remarkable.

From what I was able to see the tanks in Thun are mantained fairly well. But you are right, it has been on the outside for a very long time, on top of that you get plenty of rain and a good amount of snow in Thun, it's definitely not like Latrun o Davis Mothan.

Massimo

#17: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: horrocks PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:28 am
    ----
Re Switzerland

Aren't we all forgetting something....?

www.youtube.com/watch?...mp;index=9

...democracy, peace, brotherly love, and the cuckoo clock..!

#18: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:00 pm
    ----
I've been researching this King Tiger, following up on comments on its website - see the final paragraph here:

UID219: King Tiger at Full (previously Thun)

Links to that website are above the text. If anyone can provide further information, it would be much appreciated. I'm thinking we may have people on this forum that are more familiar than me with late war Panzer units who could shed a bit of light on this Tiger's likely origins.

#19: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 am
    ----
- horrocks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V2GMI0IpL8&feature=PlayList&p=42CE1AC0D57E5043&index=9

The video was removed. Did I miss anything?

Massimo

#20: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was a joke.

#21: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:11 pm
    ----
I think you should post this question about its original unit at one of the largers forums, like Axis history forum, Feldgrau.com or Panzer-archiv.de.

These guys (mostly Germans) can provide you with ultimate details like the original Lieferscheins and stuff like that. Smile

#22: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:34 pm
    ----
Not a bad idea, though my German is not very good - I'll look into joining them, thanks.

#23: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: horrocks PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:22 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
- Massimo_Foti

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was a joke.

Heavens fellows! Film ephemera, but a wonderful film, and one of the best known film quotes ever, I should think.

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

Orson Welles, "The Third Man"

#24: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:53 pm
    ----
Ah - I hadn't seen it or I would have remembered it, I must have missed it the first time around too. And we mustn't forget Toblerone!

#25: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:48 am
    ----
Got some up to date info from Full, via Tobias Haudenschild

- The tank's history has not yet been cleared. Its s/n is
280215, it has been brought to the troops in September 1944 (probably Schwere
Panzerabteilung 506). Where it has been at the end of the war is unknown. There appeared new pictures showing it in Thun in 1956 (during the annual triaining
of Swiss Pz Bat 12 under command of major Hüssy, when the soldiers where trained on
the Centurion for the first time. The King Tiger served as a dummy for the Centurion recovery vehicles.

- The tank's torsion bars have been disassembled. Of the 18 bars, 5 were broken and the others are so rusty that they cannot be used anymore. Currently a German enterprise is producing the prototypes of newly built torsion bars.

- All 7 fuel tanks have been reconstructed and are ready to be integrated into the tank.
Saw them a few days ago. Check this thread for a picture:
www.com-central.net/in...mp;t=12966

- The skirts and the fenders have been rebuilt as well and are also ready.
See them here:
www.preservedtanks.com...p;Select=4

- Through eBay they got a new hatch for the close-quarter defence on the turret top.

- The cylinder heads have been completely restored.

- Some parts of the cooling compressor have been rebuilt.

Massimo

#26: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm
    ----
- All 7 fuel tanks have been reconstructed and are ready to be integrated into the tank.

Are these fuel tanks completely new-made?
Or some original details were used.

#27: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:35 pm
    ----
- Koluchiy
Are these fuel tanks completely new-made?
Or some original details were used.

They look 100% brand new to me, but I could be wrong:

Massimo

#28: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

- Through eBay they got a new hatch for the close-quarter defence on the turret top.

Massimo

Just what you would expect to find on E-Bay! Rolling Eyes

How did everyone here miss that posting?

"For Sale - Hatch for German WWII Tiger II close defence system. Serious inquiries only" Mr. Green

#29: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:06 pm
    ----
Bob,

Obviously you have not heard of the "Clandestine" Ebay category that is only accessible to Mad Scientists, Mercenaries, and Agencies belonging to Government (OGA) and large corporate conglomerates as a clearing house for stuff they no longer need but can't sell on the open market. Retinal scanner is required at your terminal to access and you must have "X" amount of capitol deposited in a certain account (Sorry, no Pay Pal) prior to bidding.

I'm sure that while I'm writing this there are agents tracking down this horrible breech in security and will deal with the perpetrators swiftly.

Any ways, this is what I was told by a friend who knew the guy that met the fellow who watched the Moon landings faked on a Beta tape he got from a relative that worked as a contractor for NASA.

Mr. Green

#30: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:55 pm
    ----
A few shots taken in May:

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board