Motts Military Museum Part 1-M551, M42A1, M110A1, M114
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Motts Military Museum Part 1-M551, M42A1, M110A1, M114 Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:39 am
    ----
As Neil requested-sorry it took so long

M551 Sheridan s/n 1193. Helpfully, the s/n is also painted on the side in big white letters

Real gun?

M42A1 Duster s/n 658-anyone know where to locate s/n's on these?

M110A1 self-propelled howitzer. Hard to believe how huge this thing is in person

M114 "Lingle."

Front s/n?

Rear s/n?

That's all for tonight, more tomorrow.

Last edited by ShermanWasRight on Wed May 27, 2009 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 am
    ----
I don't know the official location of numbers on the M42 series; I saw various ones on the M42 at Easton that you could look out for, but I don't know if any relate to a serial number (description is in Identification text, then there are photographs of each if you click on the main photo):

www.preservedtanks.com...0&Select=4

#3: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:23 am
    ----
What's the consensus on the Sheridan gun? The TACOM listing said it was "missing" for some reason. That cap sure doesnt look right - is the whole gun fake?

Neil

#4: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:35 pm
    ----
Neil,

Tube looks real to me, Looks like a early non-bore evacuator model with the re enforcing ring mid way. I find it hard to believe that if some one was to make a mock up tube they'd include that feature. The PVC cap does look hokey but I guess it's better than no cap at all. What I find interesting is that the box above the gun for the missile tracker is missing. Kinda unusual to remove those, we even kept them at Irwin. Maybe TACOM meant the Breech was removed????

They seem to take pretty good care of them there.
Thanks for sharing

#5: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:08 pm
    ----
WOW,....this is amazing news!!

Does Roy know about this??!!

AN M114 mounting an 8in howitzer!!!! Shocked

Oh,.....damn, sorry 'bout that. Guess I need to clean off my glasses a little more frequently .

Cool stuff anyway, thanks

Don

#6: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:11 pm
    ----
M41 tank and M42 SPAAG serials are both in the same place: Rear hull on modification record plate. Make sure to get all the numbers in the uppermost block.

www.com-central.net/in...hlight=m42

KL

#7: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:46 pm
    ----
Mott's Museum - Is this the one on the periphery of the Columbus Airport? Did they have an M5A1 Stuart?

KL

#8: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:26 pm
    ----
- Dontos
WOW,....this is amazing news!!

Does Roy know about this??!!

AN M114 mounting an 8in howitzer!!!! Shocked
Don

Roy, hell! Just don't let you-know-who see that! Shocked

#9: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:59 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
What's the consensus on the Sheridan gun? The TACOM listing said it was "missing" for some reason. That cap sure doesnt look right - is the whole gun fake?

Neil
I've never seen a gun that looked like that. Something wrong about the end. Could the 'reinforcing ring' actually be an ABS pipe coupler? The ring is in the wrong place anyway. Should be further out the tube. Personally I don't believe the Sheridan guns ever had a 'reinforcing ring' although a lot of books say they did. I think this ring is where the threads would have been cut for the bore evacuator. Just my guess.

#10: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:23 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
Mott's Museum - Is this the one on the periphery of the Columbus Airport? Did they have an M5A1 Stuart?

KL

It's down near Rickenbacker Airport, so you're half right :). No M5A1 though.

#11: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-Tank Row Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 am
    ----
Mark wrote

I think this ring is where the threads would have been cut for the bore evacuator.

That makes perfect sense! The re enforcing collar doesn't, being located where it is. Should have looked at David Doyles M551 book closer

Since the CBSS was a mod after many were already made. It stands to reason Watervliet had many early tubes forged that hadn't been machined yet. Just skip the holes and threads for the bore evacuator after cutting the rifle groves and your done. Leaving that extra bit of metal won't hurt and removing it costs time and money.

If you've ever seen the 105mm tubes prior to machining they have a raised area similar to these for the locking collar threads.

Wonder who first called it "re enforcing collar" ?

Maybe the same person who explained how "Chin Armor" came about on the M60A1.

Thanks to Marks enlightening information, I now change my position and believe the tube is fake.
Mr. Green

#12: Re: Motts Military Museum Part 1-M551, M42A1, M110A1, M114 Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:14 pm
    ----
The tube is indeed fake. I've spoken with the guy who paints the vehicles. It's a length of PVC or something to that effect. He apparently did a good job on it, though. Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board