APG #2: BRAC, XM247 Sergeant York, HSTV-L, LVT4, etc...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: APG #2: BRAC, XM247 Sergeant York, HSTV-L, LVT4, etc... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:13 am
    ----
BRAC is starting to have its impact on Aberdeen Proving Ground. These signs are now in the foyer of the museum. That big yellow building on the left of the map - that will be the new museum (probably a combined Ordnance/Transportation Museum actually since I dont see a separate Transportation Museum identified on the map). Its called a "climate controlled storage facility" since MILCON cant be used to build a museum, or at least thats what I have been told. Basically this is where the main gate of the post is now...

I found the first panel also interesting in that it suggests most of the remaining items will stay with the APG Museum that stays behind - which AFAIK was previously just an idea...

With the construction starting around post, the two storage yards that formerly contained some of the Ordnance Museum collection have been cleared out. The contents of the one storage yard that contained just museum vehicles is now parked a few blocks away - including the Sergeant York, DD Easy Eight Sherman, PzKpfw III Ausf N, etc.

Here's the XM247 Sergeant York - looks like one of the panels got knocked loose...

One of my favorites, the High Survivability Test Vehicle - Light. Was never able to get a good picture of the front of it where it was parked before...

LVT4

Neil

#2: Re: APG #2: BRAC, XM247 Sergeant York, HSTV-L, LVT4, etc... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:56 pm
    ----
BTW, some of these vehicles (including the Sergeant York) were marked with decals that had line & pad number details - so it looks like at least some of them will be moved to the museum itself.

Neil

#3: Re: APG #2: BRAC, XM247 Sergeant York, HSTV-L, LVT4, etc... Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm
    ----
Is that a Flakpanzer T-34(r) Conversion in the third picture? What a rare vehicle! Shocked

#4: Re: APG #2: BRAC, XM247 Sergeant York, HSTV-L, LVT4, etc... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:08 pm
    ----
It should be a twin 37mm mounted on top of a T-34 hull. Not sure if this was produced in Soviet Union or just it was just a chinese variant.

Massimo

#5: Re: APG #2: BRAC, XM247 Sergeant York, HSTV-L, LVT4, etc... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:09 pm
    ----
In the fourth pic? In a generic sense you're right, but no its not specifically a German conversion. Its a Chinese conversion, captured in Vietnam. Designations vary, but Type 63 seems to be a good one... Apparently it initially caused some concern in intelligence circles, until it was realized it was basically a "kit-bash."

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board