Middletown, OH M4 Sherman?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:08 am
    ----
I've been redoing my map of preserved Ohio miltiary stuff, and I've been searching google and live maps for "veterans" to try and find Legions, VFW's, etc, with artillery pieces. However, I think I've managed to find a tank! Look at coordinates:
39°30'28.26"N 84°25'30.81"W
In MSN Live maps, and view the birds' eye function-it looks like a Sherman! Can anyone confirm if it's still there, as I know the google sat pics are from 2004, but I don't know how recent the MSN Birdseye ones are. Any help is appreciated!

#2: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:12 am
    ----
There is a M4A3 at a Disabled American Veterans hall (DAV 131) just west of Middletown it is SN 11826 It is listed in Neil's register as being at Middleton.
Mike Haines

#3: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:26 am
    ----
- recon4ww2
There is a M4A3 at a Disabled American Veterans hall (DAV 131) just west of Middletown it is SN 11826 It is listed in Neil's register as being at Middleton.
Mike Haines

That must be why I didn't note it in the register, it was spelled differently. Thanks Smile

#4: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm
    ----
I am just above Toledo in Detroit, where is Middleton exactly? It is easy to head down into OH on a day trip. I have half a dozen along the I-75 route I want to check out, see if they are still there, their shape, etc. ...
SR

#5: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 pm
    ----
Shawn,
It's Middletown and it is located along I-75 about halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati. There is also a M4A3 in Blanchester, OH north east of Cincinnati. If you are thinking about stopping in Lima to see the M4A3E8 in the Allen County Historical Museum you may wish to call and ask them if will be there. Much of the time it is stored at a local refinery and I don't know about public access. That tank is scheduled to be at the WACO Aircraft museum's WACO MILITARY EXPERIENCE July 10,11 & 12th There will also be an operational LVT4 there. I'll be there with my 1943 WC62 Dodge.
www.wacoairmuseum.org/.../flyer.pdf

Mike Haines

#6: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:46 pm
    ----
- recon4ww2
Shawn,
It's Middletown and it is located along I-75 about halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati. There is also a M4A3 in Blanchester, OH north east of Cincinnati. If you are thinking about stopping in Lima to see the M4A3E8 in the Allen County Historical Museum you may wish to call and ask them if will be there. Much of the time it is stored at a local refinery and I don't know about public access. That tank is scheduled to be at the WACO Aircraft museum's WACO MILITARY EXPERIENCE July 10,11 & 12th There will also be an operational LVT4 there. I'll be there with my 1943 WC62 Dodge.
www.wacoairmuseum.org/.../flyer.pdf

Mike Haines

Where's the Blanchester M4A3 located? I don't see it in the register.

#7: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:52 am
    ----
It is located in a cemetery on West Main st. or state route 28. It will be hard to see from a satellite photo as it is under several large pines.
You can just see it inside the gate on one of the photos on the following website.
www.findagrave.com/cgi...CRid=41548

I have the SN for it somewhere, I try to find it and post some pix of it and the Middeltown tank.
I live about 40 or 50 miles from both tanks in Piqua, OH

Mike Haines

#8: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 am
    ----
- recon4ww2
It is located in a cemetery on West Main st. or state route 28. It will be hard to see from a satellite photo as it is under several large pines.
You can just see it inside the gate on one of the photos on the following website.
www.findagrave.com/cgi...CRid=41548

I have the SN for it somewhere, I try to find it and post some pix of it and the Middeltown tank.
I live about 40 or 50 miles from both tanks in Piqua, OH

Mike Haines

Thanks; I'm in Worthington, Just north of Columbus, so it isn't close for me either. It's closer when I'm at school in Northern Kentucky, so I might try then come fall.

edit: okay, based on the photos you linked, and Live Maps iffy birdseye, my WAG for the coordinates is thus:
39°17'28.59"N
83°59'42.22"W

#9: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:46 am
    ----
The Blanchester SN is 12081

#10: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:22 am
    ----
Thanks for the info & pics guys!

I just finished up my edits/updates to the New Mexico section of the register, moving on New York - Ohio should be around the corner as it were...

Neil

#11: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:25 am
    ----
Hi Mike:

I assume you got the 12081 S/N off the hull stampings? If so, the painted on R/N is incorrect. It should be 3054236. If the 3053981 R/N is correct (some are) the S/N would be 11826. After multiple overpaintings they often get the block numbers wrong, or paint it up based on a photo.

Did you ever get around to looking for the M5 in Anna OH or the M5A1 in West Liberty OH?

BTW, I have 97 small hatch M4A3s listed as survivors, either as tanks or as M32B3s. All but 21 have had their S/Ns determined.

KL

#12: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 pm
    ----
Hi Kurt,
The SN is from the hull stamping. After I told Joe DeMarco about the tank
a friend of his visited the tank and did a little forensics (I didn't know where to look)
As far as Anna is concerned I've talked to several people including my father in law, who grew up in Anna, and nobody remembers a tank there.
Unfortunately when I asked my father in law he was in a nursing home in not the best of shape so I still consider the existence of that tank with a question mark. I haven't had a chance to check on the one in West Liberty but I'm pretty sure it's not there either. I'll let you know if I find out otherwise.

mike

#13: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:24 am
    ----
Thanks Mike!

BTW, there are something like four towns named "West Liberty" in OH. The one that seems to match the AL post in the register is at 40.252N, 83.755W.

KL

#14: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 am
    ----
Kurt,
That's the W. Liberty nearest to me. I'll see what I can find out.
Mike

#15: Re: Middletown, OH M4 Sherman? Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:33 am
    ----
Kurt,
I went to W. Liberty yesterday the address listed on the register is a ramshackle old house. The VFW post is downtown above the general store but they only use it for storage, they now meet at "the restaurant". After some asking around I was eventually led to the town historian and she had no clue what I was talking about but she new somebody that might be able to help me. She called an old fellow, a WW2 vet, and let me speak with him.He remembers that at some point the army contacted the VFW about the staus of the tank but nobody living could remember it. I wonder, was it the army or another researcher?
Then he asked me what kind of tank was it supposed to be and I told him an M5A1 and he said that he was trained as a mechanic on M5A1s and proceeded to talk about the twin Cadillacs and so on. I mentioned that I own a WW2 Dodge WC62 and he started talking about working on them. Very interesting guy and he still sounded very sharp.
Anyhow it seems the tank never made it there or if it did it didn't stay long.
Maybe a different W. Liberty has it?

Mike

-> AFV News Discussion Board