4ID Museumat Ft Hood to move to Ft Carson
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 4ID Museumat Ft Hood to move to Ft Carson Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:49 pm
    ----
Hello all,
Just read in todays Fort Hood Sentinal newspaper that the 4ID museum will be moving 19 vehicles to Ft Carson from the displays here at Ft Hood. These will include the M1 and M2 in front of the division HQ's and all Vietnam era vehicles. The WWI and WWII vehicles will remain, doing a "one-for-one trade" with the 3rd ACR museum at Ft Carson. Here are a couple more bits of information about the move and some history;
- Ft Hood museum curator is Celia Stratton
- Ft Carson museum curator is Steve Ruhnke
- Since it's inception in 1917, the 4ID has had over 250,000 soldiers.
- Sixteen, 4ID soldiers have earned the MOH.
- The 4ID has 21 Campaign streamers
- The 4ID just completed it's 3rd tour in Iraq.
- The 4ID Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial will remain at Ft Hood.
- A temporary site is being built at Ft Carson to dispaly all the artifacts, with a longer term plan to build a larger museum which would be capable of housing all the divisions displays and legacy.

#2: Re: 4ID Museumat Ft Hood to move to Ft Carson Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:06 pm
    ----
Where've you been, Jeff? Good to hear you're still around.

#3: Re: 4ID Museumat Ft Hood to move to Ft Carson Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:06 am
    ----
I'm a Platoon Sergeant and part-time First Sergeant with the Warrior Transition Brigade (WTB), aka; Wounded Warrior Unit. I have so little time off that what time I do have, is dedicated to going to my two sons football and baseball games. My oldest is playing second base on his H.S. baseball team as well as offensive guard/defensive end on the football team which just wrapped up three weeks of spring workouts. Now he's in summer baseball league. My youngest is about to start his summer/fall baseball season with a traveling team. I'm talking 5-7 games a week between the two boys, besides practices! Then when we do have a few days off on a holiday weekend, we try and take our dirtbikes and ATV's out and go riding camping. My son and I are also building up a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger to be his first car for H.S. You can check out our progress at the following link; www.forabodiesonly.com...709&page=9
Once the 4ID move is complete, I'm going to try and get with Celia Stratton and have her give me the complete vehicle switch between the two posts so that this forum and Neil can keep track of what armor goes where.

#4: Re: 4ID Museumat Ft Hood to move to Ft Carson Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:39 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Once the 4ID move is complete, I'm going to try and get with Celia Stratton and have her give me the complete vehicle switch between the two posts so that this forum and Neil can keep track of what armor goes where.

That'd be great, Jeff. Do keep us informed of developments in that regard.

I've been following the progress on the Dart Swinger you've been making on that forum, looks like you get some solid advice there, too, which is important. Wasn't a MOPAR guy, but do do like the mid-size 350 ranges engines for a certain class of car like the Dart, Chevy II, Falcons, etc. and they're not so likely to get the junior driver is as much trouble as some other combinations. Usually, they handle better too, since the weight forward is typically a couple hundred pounds less than the big blocks, reducing understeer. Like the color you're using. The period Chrysler colors were, well, a little too much like looking at a cereal box with lots of bright colors (like that guys' yellow one). You're is subdued and tasteful.
Teach him the joys of steel braided plumbing and compression fittings for that "just right" refined look (and functional and safe). And get those brakes upgraded as far as you can go. Nice lil' car.

Best to all...

Doug

#5: Re: 4ID Museumat Ft Hood to move to Ft Carson Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:23 pm
    ----
Jeff
Good to hear from you.

As for the topic:
I had to give this a little thought, trying to be sensitive in respect to the sacrifices of the 'todays' 4th ID personnel.

It sorta conserns me that the vehicles of the former 2AD Museum are to be included. Having some ties to 'Hell on Wheels', it has always bothered me. In 1992, when the 'Tiger Bde' (2AD) was deactivated, the Museum had an impressive collection of Vehicles. This became the core of the 4th ID Museum, once 'THEY' decided that the 4th Inf Div was to be reflagged at Ft Hood, from the deactivated and relocated 5th ID.

Perhaps the former 2AD vehicles should remain at Ft Hood and be part of an installation Museum, instead of being 'retagged' and shipped off to 'whereever'.....

Besides, it sure would be a cost savings (to the tax-payer) ommitting all those display vehicles from the cost of moving an entire Division.

Just a few idle thoughts.....
Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board