FT-17 at Thun is under restoration
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:02 pm
    ----
Last month, when I visited Thun, the FT-17 was missing from its usual place. A fellow modeller told me they are restoring it, the goal is to make it a runner. I don't have any picture, but I think it's worth sharing anyway.

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restotation Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:51 pm
    ----
already running since May 2009.

P-O

#3: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restotation Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:00 pm
    ----
Really? Wow, that's great. Do you have any up to date picture?
I am curious to know if they managed to keep the original engine or put a brand new one instead.

Thanks

Massimo

#4: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:06 pm
    ----
that's what I've been told :

"Dear Pierre-Olivier,

[...] This tank has been restored during the three last years. On May 29, 2009, it was in running condition again.
For the restoration, original parts has been extensively used, but the transmission, radiator (engine cooling) and some small parts were replaced with newly-built parts. [...]

Adj Uof Haudenschild, Kdo MAZ, Schweizer Armee"

P-O

#5: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:34 pm
    ----
new photo there :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_FT-17.pdf

P-O

#6: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:05 am
    ----
Thanks again for that.

BTW Are you able to get a list of AFVs stored in Thun but not on public display? I can see from your PDFs there is also a Pz 39, a Vickers 34 and a bunch of G-13s. Do you know more?
Are you aware of the status of Stug III? It wasn't on public display earlier this year.

Last year the local modelling club managed to visit the hall were anti-tank guns and artillery are stored, we plan to go to Thun again later this year and leverage some "connections" to see more. It would be handy to know more upfront.

Massimo

#7: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:18 am
    ----
I forgot to add that, as far as I know, even two Trattore Pavesi are stored in Thun but not on publc display.

If you aren't familiar with Pavesi, you can see one here:
www.ambbrescia.com/pho...avesi.html

Massimo

#8: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Thanks again for that.

BTW Are you able to get a list of AFVs stored in Thun but not on public display? I can see from your PDFs there is also a Pz 39, a Vickers 34 and a bunch of G-13s. Do you know more?
Are you aware of the status of Stug III? It wasn't on public display earlier this year.

Last year the local modelling club managed to visit the hall were anti-tank guns and artillery are stored, we plan to go to Thun again later this year and leverage some "connections" to see more. It would be handy to know more upfront.

Massimo

Massimo,

I do have a list of the vehicles stored at Full/Reuenthal, but not for the vehicles stored at Thun, sorry.

I'll try and ask Adjudant Haudenschild from the Schweizer Armee to see if he knows more about this..

P-O

#9: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:36 pm
    ----
I would love to get the list for Full, could you publish it or can I send an email about it?
Next year a new hall should open in Full, I guess some of the vehicles on display will simply get more space, but I am also curious to know what they have in storage that could go there next year.

Thanks for asking to Adjudant Haudenschild.

Massimo

#10: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:08 am
    ----
Massimo,

here is a reply from Tobias Haudenschild :

"Hello,

to answer to Massimo Foti's question, it is important to know that there is a second tank museum in Thun. This museum is located indoors, and contains all the tanks which served in the Swiss Army, except the Leopard 2, CV 9030 and Centurion Mk VII.
Some tanks from the museum are in running condition and are used for dynamic events. Apart from this museum, there are other tanks in various places in Thun or in the area.
If possible, I'll try to do a list of these vehicles and forward it to you.

The StuG III was transferred to the tank museum at Full. Some parts were changed from the Thun tank to the Full one (note from P-O : I didn't know that they have a StuG ??) and the paint has been refreshed.
I don't know the current location of that tank, but it will be back at Thun."

#11: Re: FT-17 at Thun is under restoration Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:07 pm
    ----
Yes, I've seen pictures from the indoor museum, but I never been there. We are planning a trip with the local modelling club.

I wasn't aware of any Stug III in Full either. I plan to be in Full later this summer, will let you know if I see anything new.

Thanks again.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board