St Louis Veterans Home-M60A3 AAD Rbd SN 2166A
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: St Louis Veterans Home-M60A3 AAD Rbd SN 2166A Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 am
    ----
My family's on a vacation to Colorado, and me being me I found as many static displays as I could on the way to investigate. Unfortunately this was the only tank that was close enough to the highway. I've got a sneaking feeling Joe D's probably covered this one already, but here goes:

SN; nothing identifiable on the Left tow lug, ditto for the RN; to my eye it looks like the crossed out SN is either 3850 or 3350.

I thought this provided an interesting contrast Smile

#2: Re: St Louis Veterans Home-M60A3 AAD Rbd SN 2166A Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:09 am
    ----
"Guns 'n Roses", Oh my!

#3: Re: St Louis Veterans Home-M60A3 AAD Rbd SN 2166A Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:13 am
    ----
Nice pictures "SWR"

Haven't gotten to that one yet, so thanks for sharing. Been concentrating my efforts South (MS and AL) lately. MO is real close on my list though.

Late model M60A1 converted to A3 TTS. I take it the serial number your reading must be on the deck and not the hull. I say this because the hull is a Generation 4, which didn't come out until the late 6900 to 7000 series. Unless the number is actually starts with an "8".

#4: Re: St Louis Veterans Home-M60A3 AAD Rbd SN 2166A Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:51 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Nice pictures "SWR"

Haven't gotten to that one yet, so thanks for sharing. Been concentrating my efforts South (MS and AL) lately. MO is real close on my list though.

Late model M60A1 converted to A3 TTS. I take it the serial number your reading must be on the deck and not the hull. I say this because the hull is a Generation 4, which didn't come out until the late 6900 to 7000 series. Unless the number is actually starts with an "8".

How do you discern a TTS from a regular M60A3? I'm glad you like them; I've found a few A3's in Kansas I'm going to try to get as well Smile

#5: Re: St Louis Veterans Home-M60A3 AAD Rbd SN 2166A Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:38 am
    ----
Well,

If you find a non-TTS M60A3, I'd love to know of it. All Passive M60A3's were converted to TTS IAW Army records. But this group has a habit of finding some rare stuff.

If you go to the downloads section, there's a really good guide Piney put together on the M60 series.

Sight housing is the key,

Sight housing

An A3 Passive would have the same as the M60 and M60A1.

Many A3's on display had their sights removed though, so you gotta use the searchlight cable receptacle to ID a TTS model.

Receptacle

If it's welded over she's a TTS model. But just because it's not doesn't mean she isn't, since 114 were converted to TTS locally and weren't capped. Aberdeen's example is one of those. It just means she was an A3 passive at one time and most likely had her TTS removed during de-milling. A passive tank wouldn't have it removed since those housings weren't part of that process.

Just remember, this info only applies to M60A3 Passives and TTS. Sure fire way to ID an A3 from an A1 is by the rangefinder blister below the cupola. An A3 would have a door, an A1 wouldn't.

M60A3

Hope this helps.

-> AFV News Discussion Board