Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety"
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 pm
    ----
Spread the word amongst your AFV collector friends. The highway safety act will have new provisions to inspect uparmoured vehicles for roadworthiness. No mention of the effect on legitimate collectors. Probably not even considered when the rules were cooked up. Sad

alberta.ca/acn/200906/...C34F3.html

#2: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 pm
    ----
Yeah, that makes sense...the roads are lousy with them in Alberta...can't swing a dead cat without hitting a personally-owned AFV there anymore. Rolling Eyes

#3: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:16 am
    ----
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Most farm equipment we have here out weigh the trucks and they roll on all our highways. Even see them on I-155 on occasion crossing from TN to MO or back. No fuel tax on them thar vehicles and they tear up some roads. Same goes for DOT inspections. Doesn't apply to those big rigs the farms use if they are listed as "Farm Vehicles".

Don't get me even started on these "Poor Old Farmers" Rolling Eyes

Maybe they ought to tag them as "Farm Equipment" Laughing

#4: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:59 am
    ----
Hey Joe

Heres a shot of MY 'farm vehicle' that I'm looking to sell. Its great for accessing property with heavy over growth. Its in Texas, if you're interested... Cool

It would REALLY tear up hot pavement, so you gotta keep it in the dirt.

Laughing
Don

#5: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:04 am
    ----
They aren't at all refering to AFV type armoured vehicles.

The change in the law is referring to the significant influx in gang members using pimped out illegally customized armoured SUVs and cars. They are referred to by gang members as "gunships".

These vehicles are modified by adding tons of concealed armour and several centimeters of ballistic glass.....and they are far beyond the vehicle factory specs after they are modified. They also have hidden compartments for firearms and other items. They are modifed for one reason....gang warfare.

There has been several incidents of the armoured SUVs being used in gang related drive by shootings in the Lower Mainland in BC.....and the gang bangers have been suspected of bringing the vehicles into Alberta.....and not to go on vacation.

So...it is not pretty stupid and it does make total sense....come to my city of Calgary, Alberta and I'll take you to a restaurant where an innocent man was having lunch and died on New Year's Day after being caught in the middle of an organized gang hit.

The more simple laws to work against gang members and take their weapons away the better this world will be.

Oh, this is nothing new either....British Columbia has already been seizing the "gunships" when they don't pass inspection.

I hope that clarifies the article a bit for you all.

#6: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:40 am
    ----
As the late great Paul Harvey said, "And that's the rest of the story"

Thanks for clearing that up Jason.

#7: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:55 am
    ----
Hey it specifically says 'aftermarket modifications' so Joe your M60A3 would be fine but you can't add the Israeli Blazer ERA to it Wink

#8: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:27 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Hey Joe

Heres a shot of MY 'farm vehicle' that I'm looking to sell.

Don, does this mean you have given up on trying to restore it? And I thought you had one in KY as well?

Neil

#9: Re: Alberta to ban armoured vehicles - "road safety" Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:11 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- Dontos
Hey Joe

Heres a shot of MY 'farm vehicle' that I'm looking to sell.

Don, does this mean you have given up on trying to restore it? And I thought you had one in KY as well?

Neil

Transportation had long become prohibitive, then throw in some other issues, and I had to make a few difficult decisions. Sad So The vehicle (plus an extra hull) are still in Texas, and are seeking a suitable 'new home'. Crying or Very sad

BTW: the 2 Ontos (plus 3 assoted hulls) that were in Henderson Ky, have migrated to New York. I'll find out exactly what town.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board