Cobra King (reposted updates)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:39 am
    ----
Well done Don - keep going!

#62: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:43 am
    ----
Here is a composite of images from yesterdays work session.

Being involved with so many different sub-projects, its a bit hard to report a lack of discovery with any sort of 'excitement'.

Progress has been a bit slower with seasonal illnesses & weather conditions but armed with a 'plan', it continues gradually.

Regards
Don

#63: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:43 am
    ----
A little bit of work of note on Cobra King completed today.

Work centered in removing the remaining bogie assemblies. 3 are now close to removal with some difficult mounting bolts.

Previously Cobra King was lifted higher on the 'dolly' to allow access to the lower (hull) mounting bolts on the bogie assemblies. Additionally the support rollers and 'skid' were removed from the remaining assemblies.

Here is a composite of a few photos from today.

Regards
Don

#64: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 pm
    ----
Mr. Green I know how difficult it is to remove bogie bolts and nuts..

I helped to remove, repaint and reassemble them all on this particular tank :

Paradoxally, that was a real pain, but a nice one !!!

P-O

#65: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:48 am
    ----
Hey all

I've been stuck at home, nursing a crushed finger. (...perhaps due to the fact I'm a little too 'hands on' while at work ?? Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, I finished another Cobra King related video that I thought some might be interested in.

On The Trail of Cobra King (Part 1)

Enjoy
Don

#66: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 am
    ----
I finally got off my 'lazy butt' and was able to spend a few hours in the Motor Pool on CK.

I started to remove the layers of paint in the area of the #3 Left side bogie assembly, along the hull wall. Using the proven worth of the 'Garry Redmon proess' of paint removal, I began 'tapping' the hull with a ballpeen hammer.

Some near immediate items of interest came to my attention.

More production stampings were uncovered on the hull.

I also uncovered a 'black substance' that is not paint but appears to be some sort of 'soot' residue. (LET THE SPECULATIONS BEGIN......AGAIN) Wink

Just thought I'd keep y'all informed.

Regards
Don

#67: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 am
    ----
The Cobra King section on Armor for the Ages has been updated with new photos and new discoveries, some of which Don has already mentioned.

armorfortheages.com/Vo...ctPage.htm

Garry

#68: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:24 am
    ----
Garry

THATS GREAT !! It Figures, I had to leave early and miss the really cool stuff. 'Congrats' on the find !!

Updates are excellent as always

Regards
Don

#69: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:14 am
    ----
Charles gets credit on the initial find. I get the points for the gouge, dent and finding the hole in the overhang. Smile

What amazes me is that we have gone over her many times, but we keep finding things. What will be next?

Garry

#70: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 pm
    ----
Hi folks,

just an small question about the stamps you have found on the plates

Are these stamps to ID steel manufactures, or are they corresponding with material certificates, or the guy(s) / girl(s) who did the welding, or something else ?????

Michel

#71: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:28 pm
    ----
Due to an unexpected day off from work, I decided to spend the day in the MP & condinuing paint removal.

With the stamped production numbers on the hulls left side, I located and uncovered additional stamped production numbers on a similiar loation on the hulls right side. (photos to follow)

It was then that I started to remove the thick layers of paint around the welded 'rebar' remains on the right side. This is when I stumbled onto another interesting 'rediscovery'. I found what I initially believe was the original brush painted stencil of the RN on the right side.

After exposing the entire number, it became appearent that it was perhaps not the first RN stencil, however it maybe the first 'post-operational' applied RN.

Then the REALLY BIG NEWS ...!!!

I have uncovered the original stencilled 'Cobra King' on the right side. Since no images exist of the right side, we've always wondered if the tanks name (as photographed in the Dec 44 image) was applied to both sides. I have found evidence to confim this!

BTW: due to the volume of photos taken today, these and other are to follow

Regards
Don

#72: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:32 am
    ----
Here are some pics from today.....

Right Side Hull stamped production numbers uncovered:

Multiple Right Side brush painted RNs uncovered:

Right Side original 'Cobra King' Stencil uncovered:

close up with measuring tape:

Regards
Don

#73: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:49 am
    ----
Oh

Almost forgot. This is a production stamped number that was uncovered on the right side.

Regards
Don

#74: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:20 am
    ----
Those are great discoveries, Don! Well done.

Garry

#75: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 pm
    ----
Interesting!

-> AFV News Discussion Board