i7 going online
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#1: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:06 pm
    ----
It's up and running (blimmin' fast too!).
Win7 64-bit installation.
And it's been much better (so far) than anything else they've put out.
Ever.

Next thing is to get it online.
If I disappear for a few days, you'll know I failed my mission.

Hate this bit.
The times I've lost e-mails, e-mail addresses, web-site addresses, etc, etc, etc.

*sigh*

#2: Re: i7 going online Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:18 pm
    ----
- Shades
LCD > Viewsonic VA2226w (1680x1050)

Bit stingey on the screen resolution... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#3: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:04 am
    ----
Ooo didn't even look at that.
Just kept it from my last post.
Will be getting another one soon and running two together.
One to display a vertical interface and the other a horizontal one.

Cool ( <---- Shades Razz )

#4: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 pm
    ----
WOOHOO!!!
Quad-cored Skwirrell !

Laughing

#5: Re: i7 going online Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:54 pm
    ----
So we may asume that you have now finally dumped that Vista crap outta the window.

you can easely clock that thing to 3.8 - 4.0 G's Twisted Evil

just make darned sure you set yourself up as Administrator and turn the User Account Control to zero !

that box should reward well my friend, I wish you a lengthy and happy use of it

#6: Re: i7 going online Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:35 pm
    ----
Congrats Shades on the new puter performing Great!

Fled.... just why and how do you set this Admin thing up and why and how do you do the User Accounts to zero. I also am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

#7: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:13 pm
    ----
- Uhu_Fledermaus
So we may asume that you have now finally dumped that Vista crap outta the window.

you can easely clock that thing to 3.8 - 4.0 G's Twisted Evil

just make darned sure you set yourself up as Administrator and turn the User Account Control to zero !
Cheers Batman!

Yep, Vista is only on my old system which I have hanging around (for the moment) to transfer files from one to the other.
What a difference with W7.

Good, hoping you can illuminate me on that.
The guys I bought it from sell clocked bundles of it to 3.8 or 4.0, and I wanted to have a go meself but forgot I don't know the first thing about it or even understand the basics!
Oh well.

Good point on the user accounts.
Hadn't done that but will do it now.

Mr. Green

#8: Re: i7 going online Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:00 pm
    ----
User Account Control

Control Panel\
All Control Panel Items\
User Accounts\
Change User Account Control settings

set it to: never notify

also when installing software:

DO NOT run any .exe file directly, ALWAYS rightclick and run as Administrator Wink

#9: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:15 pm
    ----
Ummm....!

Razz

#10: Re: i7 going online Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:05 am
    ----
I've already inadvertently figured that out after gett'n mad about it asking me for permission to do everything...lol. As for run exe as admin I'll start doing that now Smile . Thnx!!

#11: Re: i7 going online Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:05 pm
    ----
Congrats on the new build Shades. Went ahead and did my own a few weeks ago. The P5N32-E SLI is now the family computer. Wink

i7 930 2.8G @ 4.0G / Noctua NH-C12P SE14 Heatsink & Fan
Asus P6X58D Premium MB
Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3X1G DDR3 Triple Channel W/corsair Airflow Mem cooler
EVGA GTS 250 1G X 2 SLI
Cooler Master CM 690 case
Corsair HX1000W Modular PSU

Still running XP since it does everything I need it to do.

#12: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:27 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Still running XP since it does everything I need it to do.
GRrRrRrAaAaAaRrRrRr!
Wish I'd thought of that a few years ago.
*Sigh*

Noctua do seem to prefer the more wierd-looking heatsink and fan assembly.
I thought mine was odd, until I just looked yours up.

#13: Re: i7 going online Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm
    ----
That cooling fan looks like it uses a HEATER CORE from an automobile... Smile Very cool (I love puns... ) and efficient looking... Wink

#14: Re: i7 going online Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23 pm
    ----
Ya, it's big but guess that's why it works so well. OC'd @ 4.0 the CPU is @ 24 idle and 45 under load (MB never goes over 30) for regular use. Stress tests the CPU maxed out at 67. Had it on my Core 2 Duo, luckily it fits 775, 1156 & 1366 so I was able to use it on the i7.

Though I've been running it at 4.0g for about a month now gonna back it down to 3.8G or 3.6G. the 930's seem to need higher CPU voltages @ 4.0 than alot of the 920's I've seen plus the jump in volts required over 3.8 to 4.0...the added stress just doesn't seem worth the extra 800-1200 3DMarks.

#15: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:48 pm
    ----
Yep, mine's at 3.8 and I'm getting similar temp's.
I don't really do anything to stress it these days but still chuffed even so....
They are amazing chips.
The i5 is as clockable too.

-> Hardware