Breaking News-Off Topic
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:11 pm
    ----
Army: 7 dead in dual attacks at Fort Hood, Texas
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20...d_shooting

#2: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:39 pm
    ----
We're on lock-down currently, can't say much more. It's a very bad situation. I'll update later when able but you will all probably see it on the news first.

#3: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 pm
    ----
Glad you're OK, Jeff Neutral

#4: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 pm
    ----
I'm fine. The post is currently locked down. It was 2-3 soldiers that opened up in the Soldier Readiness Center which is where soldiers are processed for deployment. Currently the casualties are 12 dead, and 31 injured, it will probably climb. I was walking to my truck to head that way when the event happened and I was called back. Fifteen minutes sooner and I would have been in the facility area. I'm sure more news and motives will come out.

#5: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:40 pm
    ----
We're glad you and family are safe, Jeff.

Seeing reports of a field grade officer being involved.

#6: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:50 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Seeing reports of a field grade officer being involved.

I read a Major was in custody. Hard to believe.

#7: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:52 pm
    ----
His name is MAJ Malik Nadal Hasan and is believed to have been 39-40 years old. Rumor has it, that he was a Psych doctor working at the hospital. I believe he was also known as Abduwali Hasan. He is included in the 12 dead. One was also a civilian contracted police officer. Of those injured, 4 were SWAT officers. More to follow.

#8: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:19 am
    ----
MAJ Malik Nadal Hasan apparently is the dead shooter.

#9: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:15 am
    ----
Yes, he is the dead shooter. One of those that was wounded has since died so the total count currently is 13. I understand another 4-5 are in very serious condition as well. The community has really come alive to support the hospitals call for blood. So many came and lined up that they are now being turned away.
The lock-down was lifted at roughly 1830hrs, but every car leaveing the post is being individually searched, so it's a very long process to leave right now. Only essentail personell are being allowed to enter the post.

#10: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:28 am
    ----
The shooter has been reported as alive and stable per GEN Cone moments ago. Also seems the civilian police officer is also alive currently. The number dead has been reduced to 12 rather than 13. The post has finally opened up enough to leave, traffic seems to be flowing again.

#11: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:46 pm
    ----
Jeff,

I'm glad that you are fine too, and really sorry that this happened.

Pierre-Olivier

#12: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:49 am
    ----
I found out today that the Soldier Readiness Processing center uses Thursdays as the "make-up" day for various units to sent soldiers through that couldn't usually go through when their main units went through. This meant that many soldiers from units across the post were present. However, the 36th Engineers had a vast majority of their soldiers there and they account for roughly 2/3 of the wounded.
One of my Wounded Warriors was at the post Education Center which is located right by the SRP site. That building quickly ended their classes and sent the soldiers back to their units. My Soldier, who shall remain anonymous, went straight to the ER at the Hospital and volunteered for an Aid and Litter team. He assisted with 5 severly wounded Soldiers taking them from the ambulances straight to the OR. I cant describe the injuries he described on here that he saw, but he did an extrordinary feat with at least two of them keeping them alive. Today I put him in for an "Impact" Army Commendation Medal for his actions. Today was an emotional day around the post for everyone, myself included.

#13: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:40 am
    ----
Jeff, on your action of asking for the ArCom as an impact award. Could this not be upgraded to Soldier's Medal in light of the life-saving actions? I am just curious. I have awarded impact AAM's and ArCom's, but think this young soldier may deserve more.

#14: Re: Breaking News-Off Topic Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:01 am
    ----
I am in agreement with you, but there will be many awards handed out for various actions that occured during this seriuos event. Considering his location and actions taken in relation to Soldiers that were actually on site, I feel this will be an appropriate recognition of his contribution to what occurred. I have a squad leader that was at the hospital for blood tests at the time of the shooting and that Soldier contributed in almost the same capacity and came back to us visibly shaken from what they saw. However they do not want to tell me about it, so I am not able to nominate them for anything due to lack of information for a write up.

-> AFV News Discussion Board